Would I be able to use an IR repeater or some other product to control the volume on my am in a different room?

• 28 April 2024
  • 4 replies

I just bought a new Samsung Frame TV and I have it connected to a Sonos Ray soundbar via an optical audio cable. I also have 2 ceiling speakers in the TV room connected to an amp in my basement tithat I am unable to run a HDMI Arc directly from since it’s on the other side of the house. 

I was able to connect my Samsung TV remote to the Ray soundbar and can control the volume on that. I read that I wouldn’t be able to control the volume of my ceiling speakers connected to my amp with my TV remote since it’s wireless, but I just successfully did the remote control setup in the sonos app and connected it to my amp that runs the ceiling speakers in my TV room and it does in fact control the volume of the speakers. The only issue is, since I guess it controls it with IR, it only changes the volume on the amp when the remote is pointed directly at it, and since my tv is on the other side of the house, it doesn’t control the volume from the TV room.

My question is, is there some sort of product like an IR repeater or something similar that could send the volume up/down signal from my remote in my TV room pointed at the TV, to the amp in my basement on the other side of my house, so I can control the volume of the ceiling speakers with my TV remote?

Any and all answers or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 replies

Sonos doesn’t make one, but you may want to google ‘IR repeater’ and see what you find. Or ask on a TV related forum. 

Have you added AMP to RAY as the surround amplifier? As the surround amplifier, RAY will control rear speaker Volume.

Have you added AMP to RAY as the surround amplifier? As the surround amplifier, RAY will control rear speaker Volume.

I Tried setting it up as a surround but it didn’t work. I think because the amp was too far away from my TV room. I’m going to try and hook my amp up to Ethernet (it’s on WiFi now) and see if that works. But do you have any other ideas why it kept failing to set up as surround?

AMP will try to establish a direct 5GHz connection with RAY.