Answered

Wired speakers cutting out

Our wired “dumb” speakers keep cutting out.  They are not wireless, they don’t have an IP address.  They are old fashioned speakers hard wired into the Connect Amp.  And they cut in and out repeatedly.

I have read the forum answers relating to this issue with Sonos speakers but haven’t seen anything with dumb speakers.  I wouldn’t expect to get assistance from Sonos as they are not Sonos items.  But it’s incredibly annoying.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 29 April 2024, 18:26

View original

10 replies

if they are both cutting out at the same time, then the issue is likely not the speaker or your wiring, but an issue with the Connect:Amp.  This is something that Sonos should definitely provide support for.  I have not kept up to speed on the reported issues with the Connect:Amp, but support would be able to confirm whether this is a known issue or something else.

It’s a good idea to get diagnostic soon after the issue occurs .

Thank you!

And, for what it’s worth, the CONNECT:AMP has an IP address assigned by your router. The music sent to these speakers is traveling across your LAN.

Ya the connect:amp has an IP but the speakers themselves do not as far as I know.

Wow well that’s an hour of my life i won’t get back.  It was very unsatisfying. After first trying to ditch me advising that i should phone in, he claimed that we had tried all the workarounds, except we hadn’t tried anything.  I kept asking if he could clarify what he wanted me to do.The upshot is there’s a known issue with that “old” model Connect:amp and you have to buy a new one.  I felt like telling the tech i have stereo components older than he is that still work. 

Passive speakers do not have an IP address because they aren’t connected to the network. CONNECT:AMP has an IP address.

While we cannot rule out a hardware issue, there are thousands that play just fine.

Are there any error messages? Have the status lights changed color?

I’m guessing it’s a software issue. Like it seems solvable by a bios update if there is such a thing. Wish there was a way i could view the diagnostics.  Although not a stereo person, am an IT guy.  No error msgs or light changes.  After a reboot of the Connect:Amp it works for a while and then just gradually degrades over time.  The Connect:Amp is attached to the intranet via a switch.  Everything else in the house connects back to that switch so it is not a network issue, else we’d be experiencing other issues.  It is isolated to the Connect:Amp and he admitted there was a known issue but then couldn’t seem to articulate the workaround.  He ignored all my attempts to reframe what he wanted me to do.

We don’t have enough information about your SONOS system and network to give any meaningful help.

Is this an S1 or S2 system?

S2

What else can I provide that might be useful?

It’s a Telus fibre network.  All the jacks in the house are connected in the demarc to a switch, same switch the Connect:Amp is attached.  The speakers at issue are wired to the back of the Connect:Amp.  The rest of the Sonos gear is connected wirelessly and has no issues.  We have no issues with any other devices in the house; tablets, phones, PCs.  Not a network issue.