Question

Windows UNC issue

• 16 October 2020
  • 1 reply

For the tech guys… with a recent Windows 10 update, my UNC connections to various NASs are failing with a ‘path not found’ error. If I switch to the IP address, it comes right up. If I reboot my computer the UNC works for a while then it starts failing again. The Sonos desktop controller then can’t find my shares when working with them during this anomaly. Sonos itself works of course.

Does anyone know anything about this and can offer up a solution? Maybe uninstall part of the update that is causing this? The PC was fine for years and the update is the only change to the software on it in the past few months.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @BCM, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos Community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue as well as the steps that you did. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask a few questions and will give some suggestions on what you can follow.

1. Were you able to access the NAS drive from your computer? Did you get the same error message?
  2. Have you tried removing and re-adding your music library?
  3. To use a NAS drive with Sonos, the NAS must support the SMB(v1)/CIFS file-sharing protocol. Have you tried recreating the sharing permissions on the folder?
  4. Have you configured your Windows firewall to work with Sonos? 
  5. If you have an antivirus installed on your Windows PC, you may check the firewall configuration settings to ensure that it's not blocking Sonos.

Please submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.