Answered

Which Speaker to Group on?

• 13 March 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Does it matter what speaker I group on?

I've got 5 zones and a connect, which is plugged into the router. Very often, I want to play the same thing on all speakers, so when I group I use the same speaker as the one I group on. But I also know that the interference around some of my speakers is greater than others.

I've reduced my dropouts significantly but would like to eliminate them completely.

So should I be more discerning about the lead speaker?
icon

Best answer by ratty 13 March 2018, 10:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Where you can, choose a wired player as the 'group coordinator'. This is the first in the group, and heads the list in the controller's Now Playing.

The coordinator fetches the stream and sends it to the other grouped players. Using a wired player for this role helps reduce wireless bandwidth demand.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thanks, Ratty.

So, in this case, I'd use the Connect as the group coordinator, as that's the one plugged into the router?

I thought that might have been the best solution and have been doing that for the last couple of days. Haven't had any dropouts, but that only tends to happen at weekends, when I'm assuming that there are more neighbours around regularly creating more local interference!!!!
So, in this case, I'd use the Connect as the group coordinator, as that's the one plugged into the router?
Correct.

I thought that might have been the best solution and have been doing that for the last couple of days. Haven't had any dropouts, but that only tends to happen at weekends, when I'm assuming that there are more neighbours around regularly creating more local interference!!!!

There's nothing to stop you trying different SonosNet channels if the problem strikes again. Despite conventional wisdom that the router and Sonos should occupy different channels (at least 5 numbers apart), sometimes sharing a common channel weaves the best course through interference from neighbours.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Cool.

I'll run with grouping on the Connect for now.

And will keep in mind the bit about channels. Every little helps in trying to keep things running smoothly.
Also note when any disruption occurs. If it's around meal times it could be due to a neighbour's microwave oven. As a rule, SonosNet seems least upset by microwaves when it's set to channel 1.