Trueplay has disappeared from one room only

• 18 January 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi. I had a power cut for thirty minutes. After it came back on my two play fives and one sub had disconnected from each other and are no longer displaying the trueplay icon in the app, even when rejoined. They have been previously set up for trueplay. All other speakers in my setup are showing their icons as usual and behaving as they previously did. I have another sub with my arc and that is fine. Any ideas as I want to reset with trueplay but have no option to do so. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

What device are you using for the controller app?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m using S2 on the Sonos app. Never had a problem to date, John...and all the other speakers are working fine, with their Trueplay in memory and displaying. I was wondering whether a complete reset was needed for each of these speakers - a power-off and rejoin to completely reinstall, but an official post on here seemed to warn against it.

Power off and on is not a reset. Do not factory reset anything.  I assume you are using an iPhone? I wondered if you had an Android phone and were in fact just seeing the Trueplay toggle switches?

What type of device can you not Trueplay?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That is brilliant forensic thinking and analysis John. I am using an android device to run the app but obviously an apple device to set up Trueplay. So I checked on the apple device and could see Trueplay available as an option to retune and have now done so and all is fine.

To any others following this, the power cut knocked out my Trueplay on one room’s settings but no others. My android app only shows a Trueplay toggle button if Trueplay is currently set up, so it had disappeared but all others had stayed, hence I was confused since I would have expected it to be there even though I know I can only update it via apple.

Many thanks John. I could have been doing that power off/on for ages and still been none the wiser…

Now, if you can also solve the one-second regular sound drops on the Arc connected to e-arc on a Samsung One Connect box tv you will establish yourself as an unmitigated genius :)

Hi @Nigel_24 .  I am glad to have helped on this one.  AV stuff is not my area of expertise, and so the Nobel Prize for Sonos will have to be awarded to someone else this year, I’m afraid.  If that’s an ongoing problem then I haven’t been following the thread(s).

It sounds like the sort of problem that requires a firmware fix from either Samsung or Sonos, probably Samsung.  it would be interesting to know if taking the eARC away from the TV and giving it to an HDFury Arcana device would remove the problem.  I don’t know if that is feasible because I know next to nothing about the One Connect.  Does the issue occur with external sources and internal apps?  It would be an expensive experiment and one that should not be necessary.

When the sound is not dropped out, are there any lip sync issues?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @John B . The e-arc story is a long one and a lot of people are frustrated as both Samsung and Sonos deny responsibility and blame each other. They’re both flagship devices (TV and Arc) for the companies so the fact that it is still an issue after all this time is pretty damning. Other than pulling out the hdmi lead and reinserting it, or delving deep into the tv sound settings every time you put the tv on you cannot solve it. In any event Dolby Atmos will not work at all and soundbar use is basically made so troublesome that my solution has finally been to turn off the Arc and use it just as a speaker. What a waste. Plenty of threads about it so I am not alone!  Anyhow, thanks again. Really appreciated. Take care, Nigel

Hi Nigel.  do you have the same issue if you use the optical out and adapter rather than eARC?  I know that is a limited solution but it would be better than no Arc at all, until a solution is found (hopefully), The Arc still sounds great with DD5.1.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi. I haven’t used optical, mainly because if I really want to watch a film or something from Netflix where Atmos is present then I know that I can take the steps of playing with the tv settings and eventually enable it, whereas without e-arc I can’t do it at all. I’m resolved to keeping an eye open for a firmware solution to be posted eventually. It is a pain but hey, many people don’t even have a soundbar or Sonos. I’m lucky in that so I’ll try and remain a little grounded and put up with it. This was only meant to be a small moan aside lol. Someone’ll soon complain I’m using the wrong thread!