Question

Tivo and Alexa and Sonos One

• 17 May 2018
  • 6 replies

Tivo just released an Alexa Skill. Will this work with Sonos One?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I would think so, not being able to test it myself. As near as I can tell, the Sonos One is just a microphone attached to a Sonos speaker, so most Amazon skills that are not either sound emitting (like radio stuff), or require a specific wifi radio signal (like Hue and other home automation devices), it should work.

My assumption is that the skill is based on a wifi connection to the TiVo, so all of the data you would need would be carried by voice from your Sonos to the cloud, and then back down to your wifi where it would talk to your TiVo.

But try it, and see what happens. Personally, I'd set it up on one of my echo dots first, to make sure that I have it working properly, before introducing the extra variable of the Sonos speaker. But you may not have that option. Still, nothing better than testing on your own.
I just tried using SONOS Play with my TIVO (It does NOT work).

Hooked my TIVO up to my Alexa DOT (and it DOES work).

Seems to be a SONOS problem.
After you hooked up the TIVO to the Alexa Dot, did you try again using the Sonos One?

The skill is between Amazon and TIVO. Assuming it works on the Echo Dot, my guess would be at that point that it should probably also work on the Sonos speaker. At that point, the Sonos is just acting as another Dot, taking in the commands.

There is one use case that I'm also aware of....the Sonos one doesn't have all the same abilities for connection. For instance, I think the Dot can control Philips Hue lights, because it has a Zigbee frequency, but the Sonos One does not, and so requires a Philips Hue dock in order to work.
Yes - after hooking up the Amazon DOT (and having it work correctly with the TIVO Bolt+), I did re-connect the SONOS One (removing the Amazon DOT) and the SONOS device refuses to control the TIVO device. The SONOS One responds and says OK when the command is issued, it just refuses to do any functions on the TIVO (can't play, can't pause, can't skip, etc.. -- all of these functions work fine on the Amazon DOT - it is only the SONOS device that seems to not work).
So I have a TiVo bolt and a sonos one, I also have two dots, set up in separate rooms. At first set up, the sonos one worked once or twice on the sonos one. Now it just says it can’t find a linked video skill and to check music, video, books to link devices. My two other echo dots are working just fine when requesting a command with the TiVo skill. Hopefully there will be a fix??
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
@marc_2 - Have your linked both the two Echo Dots and the Sonos One to the TiVo Bolt in the TiVo Skill?

Also, since the Sonos One audio services and TiVo skills share certain commands (play, pause, etc), you will sometimes need to specify the device ("Alexa, pause on TiVo" or "Alexa, play on 'tivo_name'.) Unless there is an intervening command to the Sonos One audio services, the Sonos One will remember to direct subsequent commands to the TiVo for about 90 minutes before you need to specify the device again.

I have multiple TiVo devices (DVR and minis) and multiple Sonos Ones, Dots, and Echo Dots, and rarely have an issue with the skill not working as designed.