The Sonos app on iPhone doesn't detect the Sonos system (iOS 17.4.1).

• 17 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

Is there any issue with the Sonos app for users using iPhone 15 Pro with iOS version 17.4.1? The phone can't seem to find the system, whereas the iPad works fine and detects the system. Is this a problem with the app or the iOS version 17.4.1?

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

I have the same iPhone running the latest iOS and my Sonos is S2 on OS 16.1. No issues.

Please describe your network in detail as this is most likely a network issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The app is fine.

Make sure the Sonos app has the “Local Network” permission. (This option does not exist on iPads).

Make sure you don’t have a VPN enabled on your phone.

Badge

I've been experiencing connectivity issues with my Sonos system since returning from vacation. Prior to leaving, my iPhone seamlessly connected to the system, but now it's unable to do so. Despite ensuring that the Sonos app has the necessary "Local Network" permission and that there's no VPN enabled on my phone, the problem persists.

My Sonos setup includes four One speakers, a Beam, and a Boost, all connected to the local network (Boost via cable, others wirelessly). My network consists of a main router and one WiFi access point. Considering these details, it seems likely that the problem may be related to either the iOS version (17.4.1) or the Sonos app's compatibility with it. I've tried various troubleshooting steps but haven't found a solution. Could you please advise on how to resolve this issue? Thank you.

Badge

Additionally, it's worth noting that there are no issues with an iPad running iOS 16.3.1; everything functions correctly within the same network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Are both phones connecting to the same access point and band 2.4/ GHz?

Can’t help you on the versions question past the Sonos FAQ link,

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Userlevel 7

@SK_PL

I can without a doubt rule out the iPhone iOS and Sonos app version as the problem areas. Especially so as you say there are no VPN’s involved. That said...there’s definitely a network issue.

As you are using a Boost all Sonos should be using the SonosNet. Try removing the WiFi access point to see if the issue is resolved. If it is...then you have your answer. 

BTW...it doesn’t matter if the access point was installed months or years ago prior to your issue manifesting itself. Updates may occur in the background that can change a networks behavior. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@SK_PL

I can without a doubt rule out the iPhone iOS and Sonos app version as the problem areas. Especially so as you say there are no VPN’s involved. That said...there’s definitely a network issue.

As you are using a Boost all Sonos should be using the SonosNet. Try removing the WiFi access point to see if the issue is resolved. If it is...then you have your answer. 

BTW...it doesn’t matter if the access point was installed months or years ago prior to your issue manifesting itself. Updates may occur in the background that can change a networks behavior. 

Yeah this is for sure a local network problem, but the OP hasn’t provided any details about it so further speculation is difficult.