Answered

Stereo versus Surround

• 21 April 2021
  • 3 replies

I can’t possibly be the only Sonos user who wants to use their Sonos Ones for stereo versus surround sound am I? My beam is connected to my Google wifi and TV but my speakers are over wifi. We have vaulted ceilings and my Beam is about 10 feet away on the wall. It’s hard to make out words from a speaker so far away and I want to use my Ones as stereo but my only option is to “group them” which is a pain because we have to manually regroup them on our iPhones every single time we turn the TV back on. Don’t even get me started about adjusting the sound while you’re watching the TV. I have to find my phone, then log in with PIN or face, then open the app, then adjust the sound EVERY SINGLE TIME I WANT TO ADJUST THE SOUND. All because I want stereo instead of surround. We can literally fly a helicopter on Mars and Sonos can’t fix this?? Really?? Had I known this I never would have bought the Sonos “system” which isn’t really a system. It’s just a bunch of component pieces. The sound quality is fine but again...the so called system is a joke. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve call the help desk and I’ve never been told of another way. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 21 April 2021, 23:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Do you have Ungroup on Autoplay turned off under the Beam’s settings in the Sonos app? Have you tried turning on Speech Enhancement or Night Sound to improve the dialog?

I started reconfiguring my system just to see how well I could hear with the Beam and the Ones on Surround so I'm not sure if anything automatically changed when I ungrouped BUT assuming the Beam settings are still the same then “Ungroup on Autoplay” is on. I’m pretty sure I have the speech enhancement turned on. If I turn “Ungroup in Autoplay” off would everything stayed grouped? If you say yes and it works then you’re my hero:)

Userlevel 7

If you set Ungroup on Autoplay to off, whatever speakers you have grouped with the Beam when playing music should stay grouped when you turn on the TV.

The Speech Enhancement setting is the dialog icon on the Now Playing screen.

The Night Sound setting is the moon icon on the Now Playing screen. Night Sound enhances quiet sounds and reduces the intensity of loud sounds which could help with dialog.