Answered

Sonos components vanishing from iOS app

• 20 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

So long time Sonos user. About 2 months ago I upgraded all my components to the newest versions. All seemed well for about 6 weeks. Everything seemed rock solid.

Last two weeks components randomly seem to be disappearing from my system in the iOS app. They mostly disappear, sometimes reappear. If they don’t reappear I have to reboot the component, sometimes factor reset it. The totally weird thing is if music is playing on a component which it disappears the music carries on playing with issues. But I can no longer control the component because its vanished from the iOS app. Even weirder, the missing components on iOS do sometimes appear in the Mac app.

My network system hasn’t changed for the past few years. LTE 5G router, wireless turned off, attached to Google Wifi Pro mesh system which is the only wifi supplier in the apartment.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on and how my future doesn’t involve setting aside a couple of hours each week to reboot/factory reset Sonos compnents? ;-)

TIA

icon

Best answer by controlav 20 April 2024, 17:54

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Your SSDP packets are getting lost by your router (this is what causes devices to randomly vanish from the app, and yet still work fine).

Fix your router config, or get a better router.

Badge +1

Thanks. Although nothing has changed on my network side for a couple of years. So not sure why I should suddenly be getting these issues.

Also when a component vanishes, it doesn’t reappear after rebooting both the router and google wifi. You expect it to appear for a while at least on a reboot I’d imagine?

Very odd and new behaviour. Sonos didn’t change anthing on their side in the last software/firmware updates?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks. Although nothing has changed on my network side for a couple of years. So not sure why I should suddenly be getting these issues.

Also when a component vanishes, it doesn’t reappear after rebooting both the router and google wifi. You expect it to appear for a while at least on a reboot I’d imagine?

Its not really possible to claim “my network hasn’t changed in two years” - your neighbor could stand up a new network, forcing your devices to change frequencies; plus all your devices (including your router, hopefully) take firmware updates regularly.

If the problem is routing between 2.4GHz and 5GHz devices then a router reboot might not even fix that, depends on the router. Quick verification is to disable 5GHz on the router for a day, see if it keeps happening. If that fixes it you know its your router.