Answered

sonos beam gen 2 plays only dolby digital 5.1

Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 12 replies

Hei! I have a sonos beam gen 2 connected to a Philips 50PUS616/12 through Hdmi Arc. I have an apple tv conected to other hdmi and despitethe fact that most shows have dolby atmos, i never experienced it since the sonos app says that it is streamed in dolby digital 5.1

any hints? Can i ever see dolby atmos on the app?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 April 2024, 06:52

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Are you sure you’re watching an Atmos program?

What rear speakers are you using?

What are your tv sound settings?

can you use eARC?

Badge +1

Yes i am watching an atmos program from disney+. I have only sonos beam conected with hdmi arc (my tv has no eArc)….unfortunately the tv menu is very limited when it comes to sound settings….all in all, i have chosen Multicanal (passthrough) setting …no other option available on the menu….

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@kalex

Atmos via AppleTV just works with an eARC connection between Sonos device and tv because ATV uses MAT format. 
With an Amazon FireTV Stick it would work because there Atmos is used compressed with an DD+ signal. That works also via ARC connection. 

Badge +1

So if i remove my apple tv and conect an Amazon FireTV Stick in the hdmi port, i can stream dolby atmos on my sonos? Have you tested? It is a giod and rather cheap solution but lets wait someone to verify it…thank you so much!

Check your Apple TV’s settings. Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format > New Format and see if it allows you to set the new format to Dolby Digital Plus. It may depend on your TV’s capabilities, reported to the Apple TV via CEC. Don’t select Atmos, as Apple TV uses MAT, which requires eARC, not just ARC. But Atmos can be carried across Dolby Digital Plus. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

My lg tv allows atmos on arc from Apple TV so maybe a tv limitation on Phillips 

though it’s compressed atmos did+

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@kalex

I didn‘t test fire tv stick with ARC on tv myself but heard from some users that it works. And I can confirm that Atmos via fire tv also works if I switch edid of my hdmi audioextractor from 7.1 to 5.1. That imo should be the same effect like switching to ARC from eARC. 
If I do the same on AppleTV, Atmos just works with 7.1. If I switch to 5.1 the Atmos on/off option on ATV disappears and ATV delivers pcm multichannel 5.1. 

@skullc

Could it be that you use an older AppleTV 4k Gen1? I read on some forums that there DD+ is delivered instead of pcm mc 5.1. 

I never saw an ATV Gen2 or Gen3 (that I use myself) delivering DD+. 
Just asking to get clarity if it depends on ATV generation or on the used tv with hdmi ARC. I suppose you can’t see the Atmos option in ATV settings, right? And if you leave „change format“ turned off ATV delivers Atmos via your tvs hdmi ARC connection to Sonos? Hope I understood it right. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

No I use the latest Apple TV 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have Apple TV gen 3 on lgb8 65 oled tv for reference 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have Apple TV gen 3 on lgb8 65 oled tv for reference 

Ok, strange… the LG just supports hdmi arc? And ATV doesn’t show Atmos option in audio settings? Or does it?
And change format is turned off? 
Then that is a very special combination if ATV delivers DD+ Atmos instead of pcm multichannel. 
Suppose the tv submits Atmos capability via cec though just supporting hdmi ARC. 
Congrats to your choice of tv… 😉 for most users that sadly won’t work. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yes my tv choice is good in fact it stop me from upgrading after seeing issues reported on here 

Badge +1

Yes my apple tv is gen3, not 4k….however the same occurs when i use an mi box 4k that i have as spare…..but i will definetly try the amazon stick…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes my apple tv is gen3, not 4k….however the same occurs when i use an mi box 4k that i have as spare…..but i will definetly try the amazon stick…..

If your ATV is a NON 4k and very old gen3 with optical out it doesn’t support Atmos at all. 

Badge +1

I have ordered the amazon 4k max….i think it will work :) thank you all for your amswers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@skullc 

Just belonging to my curiosity… does your ATV show the Atmos on/off option in audio settings with your setup? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@skullc

Just belonging to my curiosity… does your ATV show the Atmos on/off option in audio settings with your setup? 

Atmos is on

Both Apple and LG settings 

also my tv doesn’t support multi channel pcm just 2.0 pcm stereo but it does do dts 5.1 pass through 😊

Badge +1

No, the 3.gen apple tv doesnt have this option. In the Audio format, it has only dolby digital 5.1 :(

the tv settings are even less elaborative_____

Badge +1

Which lg model is your tv?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Lgb8 65 inch bought 5 years ago

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@skullc 

Seems someone is much interested in your tv… 😉 maybe you can make some quick money and sell it for double of the price you paid 5 years ago. 😂

Sorry @kalex … just kidding. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@skullc

Seems someone is much interested in your tv… 😉 maybe you can make some quick money and sell it for double of the price you paid 5 years ago. 😂

Sorry @kalex … just kidding. 

Lmao

no thanks happy with it 😊

Badge +1

Hei again!

i have just received the amazon 4k uhd (not the max but it is also dolby atmos enabled)….however there is no choice for atmos in its settings and the best i got in sonos app was the Dolby Digital Plus 5.1… do i do something wrong? Why there is no atmos option on the firestick? Please shed some light

Badge +1

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@kalex 

at a guess your tv will not passthrough atmos to the soundbar however 5.1 Dolby plus is a good substitute for it at least better than standard 5.1

Badge +1

Can i solve this? On amazon page says that the firestick should be conected on the soundbar directly and then another hdmi should conect it to the arc of the tv….but sonos has only one hdmi….can it be done?