Question

Sonos beam and 2 play 5 to watch TV and music ??

• 11 March 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi all.
I have recently entered into the world of sonos. I have received a Sonos One that I use in my room and I am delighted ...
I would like to use sonos to extend the sound of my television. I have watched and I really like the option to connect a Beam with ARC and two Play5 on the sides.

I have also seen that they advise using the Beam with 2 One or 2 Play but every time I go to the store and listen to the Play 5 I am delighted.

My question is, is it easy to connect the beam and the Play5 for TV sound?

As additional data say that my room is medium and that I live in an apartment. I thought about putting the PLAY 5 on the sides of the Beam, 1 meter each from the Beam.

At the moment my budget arrives for that, the sub at the moment I can not allow it.

Do you think good idea?

Do you know how to configure and sound like?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I'm afraid I don't understand what a "salin" is.

It sounds like you're intending to use the PLAY:5s as front speakers, something that the Sonos system doesn't support. The soundbars, the Beam in your case, has the front right, center and left speakers in the same "box", and it can't be separated out to individual speakers.

So, when adding a pair of speakers to a soundbar in Sonos, you're always talking about them as surround speakers. Which generally means behind you, and carrying a surround signal from the TV, which isn't something significant in the majority of the cases, so most people think that a PLAY:1 or Sonos One is sufficient for that purpose.

However, Sonos does have a setting in the software that you can turn on, which makes the surround speakers act as normal stereo speakers when playing music, rather than just ambient support for the soundbar. Based on what I've read, the great majority of people find this setting to be preferable.

Bonding speakers to a Beam as surround speakers is easy to do. Adding speakers to a Sonos system is easy to do.
I'm afraid I don't understand what a "salin" is.

It sounds like you're intending to use the PLAY:5s as front speakers, something that the Sonos system doesn't support. The soundbars, the Beam in your case, has the front right, center and left speakers in the same "box", and it can't be separated out to individual speakers.

So, when adding a pair of speakers to a soundbar in Sonos, you're always talking about them as surround speakers. Which generally means behind you, and carrying a surround signal from the TV, which isn't something significant in the majority of the cases, so most people think that a PLAY:1 or Sonos One is sufficient for that purpose.

However, Sonos does have a setting in the software that you can turn on, which makes the surround speakers act as normal stereo speakers when playing music, rather than just ambient support for the soundbar. Based on what I've read, the great majority of people find this setting to be preferable.

Bonding speakers to a Beam as surround speakers is easy to do. Adding speakers to a Sonos system is easy to do.

Thanks for answering so fast.
At the moment I can not use surround sound because I do not have enough space.

My question is, if I configured the sonos as front devices (Beam + 2PLAY 5) would I listen well? even if it's not stereo.

In the future I intend to change apartments and adapt to a more immersive sound, but for the moment I am impocible.
For music, you'd be fine, assuming you set them up as 2 rooms, and then chose to group them (or not, you may not want to include the Beam when listening to music). But the delay that's built in when grouping 2 rooms when watching TV would make the sound not work for you. There would be a 70ms delay between the Beam and the PLAY:5s, if they were two rooms. When set up as surrounds (a single room), there's no delay between the Beam and surround speakers.

There's technical reasons around that, but unless you ask, I won't bother you with them. 🙂
I understand what you want to tell me.

So do you think the best would be a Beam + 2 One configuration on the sides?

Another question, would a sub be a good option for this configuration or is it too much for a floor? I do not want to have problems with the lord below either. Hahahaha
If you're not going to use the side speakers as surround speakers, but instead music speakers, I'd go with the PLAY:5s.

If you're going to set them up as surround speakers, I'd recommend the Sonos Ones.

I'm a big fan of the Sonos SUB. That being said, I had my PLAYBAR for around a year before I could afford a SUB, and didn't miss it. OTOH, now that I've got one, I couldn't live without it, especially for action movies.

For music, a pair of PLAY:5s have pretty good bass on their own, in my opinion it's less important. But it's your ears, your music, your TV watching habits you need to satisfy, not mine. Do what you think is important, not what I do.