Answered

Sonos Arc Placement (Not under TV)

• 11 January 2021
  • 8 replies

Does anyone see any issue with setting the Arc on top of the mantel?  The TV would be just to the right of the Arc. 

The issue I have is that the TV is in a built in.  The opening of the built in fits the TV screen perfectly so my only option would be to set the Arc on the shelf and it would block 1-2” of the bottom of the TV screen.  The TV is on an adjustable mount so I could push the TV back a few inches and have all of the clearance I need from top and sides of the Arc but I think it will look a bit clumsy.  

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 12 January 2021, 15:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Placing Arc beside the TV would be a little uncomfortable because picture and sound would not be aligned.

Placing Arc beside the TV would be a little uncomfortable because picture and sound would not be aligned.

I was thinking if they were right next to each other and the idea was for the Arc to create a surround:immersive experience then it wouldn’t matter. But that’s why I asked!

So my next question would be - can I use (4) One SL speakers and the sub to create a surround sound system?  If so, how will I connect the Ones to the TV?

No, none of those devices have the ability to receive or interpret a multichannel signal. Four Ones could at best be set up as two stereo pairs.

In the Sonos world, in order to do a Home Theater set up, you need either one of their two soundbars, or a Sonos Amp with a pair of your own speakers. Those are the only devices that can interpret a Dolby Digital (or higher, with the Arc) signal. All of the require an ARC or eARC input. 

This is the actual setup. Any ideas where I can place/mount the Arc? 

I think your TV position is pretty bad overall.  I don’t see the point in trying to get imporved sound when the TV is stuck in the corner like that.  You could get an amp with some speakers to fit on the side, but that’s about it.

If you really want to make the experience better, I would look at relocating the TV to a different location, perhaps above the mantel, or get a TV mount with swing arm to pull it out of that location.  The probelm with the swing arm though is there is no place for a sound bar regardless.

I think your TV position is pretty bad overall.  I don’t see the point in trying to get imporved sound when the TV is stuck in the corner like that.  You could get an amp with some speakers to fit on the side, but that’s about it.

If you really want to make the experience better, I would look at relocating the TV to a different location, perhaps above the mantel, or get a TV mount with swing arm to pull it out of that location.  The probelm with the swing arm though is there is no place for a sound bar regardless.

Unfortunately with the way this home was built with the nook right there, this is the only place for the TV.  It is on an adjustable, articulating mount so we can move it if we need to but you can see the TV just fine from all areas of the living room and kitchen just the way it is.  

Well I was really hoping to go semi-surround with the Arc, Sub and One SL speakers but I might just take it all back. :(  

If I get the Amp powering two passive speakers for the front, keep the Sub and the (2) One SLs for the rear, will I be able to control the volume with my TV remote? 

Yes.