Answered

Sonos Arc & Play:1 compatibility, and mounting Arc

• 20 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’ve preordered the Arc and Sub; I have a few questions;

1)  I have 2 Sonos Play 1s as rear surrounds. Will these be compatible to pair with the Arc and Sub for a surround system, or are only Sonos One/One SL compatible?

2) I have an LG OLED C9; is HMDI eARC the best way to connect audio? Should I use an HDMI 2.1 for this?

3) I have a frame around my TV; if I mount the Arc directly under the frame, it covers the top of the speaker: would the acoustics be better if I mount a wood box behind the Arc, so that there are no obstructions* on top of the speaker?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 May 2020, 18:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

1. PLAY:1s are fine, as has been discussed at length in the announcements thread.
  2. Yes. Although if you’re only streaming content, it may not make any difference.
  3. Likely so, you wouldn’t want any obstructions, or instructions, blocking the upward firing speakers.

Note, since the Arc hasn’t shipped yet, these are speculative responses. 

Badge

Thanks!  Are there better options for rear surrounds than Play 1s (acoustically)?

Purely subjective opinion, especially as the Arc hasn’t shipped, and we don’t know the performance characteristics required of a surround speaker in an Atmos/Arc configuration, but given my personal experience with PLAY:1s in a Dolby Digital setup, I’m not expecting to need to change my surround speakers.