Sonos App super slow - Because I have all old devices, or is it likely Network?

• 26 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Over time the Sonos App on my devices has gotten slower, and slower.  Response time is horrendous.  I figure it’s gotta be from one of two things:

1. All my devices are OLD Play: 1s and a SoundBar.  Perhaps they’re just getting too old for the current capabilities?
  2. I have found several threads discussing app performance and Network issues.  I’ve done a bit of superficial digging and I don’t **think** I have any network issues going on.  I’ve got a pretty solid and stable network. Several of my devices are wired rather than using wirelss, I’m using SonosNet still on the rest.   I COULD switch them to using regular wifi, though I’m a bit hesitant because I’ve been using SonosNet successfully since before Wifi was an option.

Thoughts on where I should focus my energies?

7 replies

Actually, I’d focus on 2. There’s a very slight aspect that 1 is impacting your system, but that would be, IMHO, minimal. 

One thing I’d try is unplugging all the Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. No need to remove the Ethernet cables, but you want your router to reload its firmware, and associated DHCP table. Give the router a couple of minutes to reboot, and then plug the power back in to your Sonos devices. This forces the Sonos to also reload their firmware, and request new IP addresses from the router. 

I’m a speed demon. I think that controller startup lags a little, compared to the old days. Some functions attempt cloud access and this can introduce a startup lag. Local functions, such as Mute, Play/Pause, Volume adjustments, etc. continue to be prompt.

SONOS does require robust local networks. Routers and access points that were very viable years ago may be struggling today.

My network is a mixture of wired and wireless. Not typical, there are two WiFi networks and the SONOS units can choose which one they want to use. Most of my units are newer. The older units are not as agile on the network, but I don’t have issues.

If you don’t already have one, find a PING application and PING your SONOS units. You can find SONOS IP addresses in About My System. Lots of dropped packets or long PING times indicate some sort of issue on the local network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

#2. I looked at everything here I had access to and all my networking looked nearly perfect. Sonos was still slow to respond to remote commands.

Sent in a diagnostic and requested Sonos look into my problem. They were quite nice in explaining I had made a mess for myself by placing two different sets of speakers too close to each other. A simple move of a couple feet, of both problem sets, and my response time returned to quite acceptable levels.

I too feel it may be a bit slower than it used to be, but then my RF environment is a worse and I have added a few more Sonos to my collection.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Actually, I’d focus on 2. There’s a very slight aspect that 1 is impacting your system, but that would be, IMHO, minimal. 

One thing I’d try is unplugging all the Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. No need to remove the Ethernet cables, but you want your router to reload its firmware, and associated DHCP table. Give the router a couple of minutes to reboot, and then plug the power back in to your Sonos devices. This forces the Sonos to also reload their firmware, and request new IP addresses from the router. 

I should probably clarify - my router isn’t a typical router, it’s a UniFi gateway, and I have dhcp disabled on it as I run a dedicated redundant pair of dhcp servers in an HA config.  Also my Sonos devices all have assigned IPs.  The dhcp server does assign them to the speakers, but if I reboot they’ll get exactly the same IPs back.  

That being said, I’ll try doing what you suggest just to see if a firmware recycle on all the devices makes a difference.   

Make sure that any Ubiquiti switches are set for STP.

Check PING times. Are they all reasonable?

There’s also a frequently referenced Unifi document at: https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

IIRC, the associated Sonos device with a controller can be random, and could be a tertiary node, ie 2 hops on SonosNet, which will introduce more latency.

When I got my ERA-100 I was hesitant about unplugging the Ethernet on the older Sonos devices, but turned out to be a non issue. The system is a lot snappier now, and I have freed up a 2.4GHz channel for my WiFi.

The UniFi Network App will also give you some nice stats on the Sonos WiFi connections.