Answered

Sonos app fails after latest android update

• 23 September 2021
  • 24 replies

After the latest android update on a samsung S20+ , when opening the Sonos app it displays the message that it needs to be updated,  when you press the update button it takes you to google play,  but there is no update,  I uninstalled and reinstalled but same issue.

Now I don't have access to my sonos all or my sonos system :-(

icon

Best answer by Rick_001 23 September 2021, 06:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Looks like an update has been unloaded to play store now,  it just upgraded, and appears to be working now,

Badge +1

I just keeping getting the message “Update Problem  There was a problem during the update of your Sonos System.  Select Try again to repeat the update.

But this is not working, so my system is not working… these update are bad… they should have never been released.  So what now?

Not much information to go on, so we’ll start with a classic series of troubleshooting steps. 

1. make sure you have one Sonos device wired directly to your router. Not a repeater, but the actual router.
  2. Make sure you’re not running any VPNs or virus protection programs on your network,  or for that matter, any work installed ‘profiles’ on your controller device.
  3. tell us what Sonos devices you have.
  4. tell us what router, and ISP you have. 
  5. tell us what device your controller is on, and which version of the OS it runs
  6. Submit a diagnostic from your controller, if you can, and post the number here, or call in to Sonos directly. There would likely be information there that might point to the reason why you’re experiencing this issue, when most are not. A Sonos rep would have access to read that, and may be able to come to a conclusion long before we can ask you for every detail of your network. 
Badge +1

All of my speakers show up in the app, but when it goes to update, it goes to the last stage of the update, that is when I get the message that the app did not update.. and then all of my speakers are scrambled. I have One SL, One (stereo pari), Arc, One Left One Right, Sub (grouped together), I have Sonos 5, Sonos Move, and pair of Sonos Roam.

Nothing has changed in my system… but the app update is where the issue is.  I have a lot of money in the Sonos line of products… the app should not crash my system.

Please confirm that you’ve done 1.

Please supply an answer to number 4 and 5.

I believe you when you say you’ve changed nothing in your system, but unfortunately, that does not mean nothing has changed at all, and it’s only with the answer to those questions can we build a mental image of your system, and begin to hone in on where the issue may lie.

Or, if you do number 6, you can put it all in Sonos’ hands, since all that data should be, I’d expect, in the diagnostic. You’ll need to contact them directly, of course, and tell them which diagnostic to look at. 

Shut down and restart the controller App.

Badge +1

Here is some information about my system:

• I am trying to update the APP on Samsung Note 9 phone (model AM-N960U), running Android 10
  • Sonos App is S2 version 13.3, build 65121040
  • My Router is a Eero Router (App version 6.4.0-2092).  This is running on Windows 10 on laptop
  • ISP is Point Broadband (Speed Test is Down 239.0 Mbps and Up is 201.0 Mbps)
  • I am not sure how to get a diagnostic report from the controller
  • here are the speaker I have
    • Sonos One and Sonos One SL (Paired)
    • For TV, I have a 2 Sonos One’s (Paired), ARC Soundbar and Sonos Sub
    • Sonos Move
    • 2 Sonos Roam

The system was working fine a week ago, except for the Roam would not stay as a stereo pair.  After the initial update, was loosing speakers.  If I open the app now, all of the speakers are present and are working…  I can’t make any changes to them, but they work.  When I try the update, it goes to the third step, where it says “finishing up”, then I get the message “There was a problem during the update of your Sonos System.  Select try again to repeat the upate”

After the failure, most of my speaker are missing.  If I reboot the phone, then they come back.

Let me know what other information I can supply.

I have rebooted the router several times, including the Modem..and the Samsung Phone.

Thanks

Here is the procedure for submitting diagnostics. I suggest that you you submit a diagnostic after the update fail, uninstall the App, and reinstall a fresh copy. If there is another fail, submit another diagnostic. Sonos Staff can access and comment on the diagnostic. Be sure to log the confirmation numbers.

Refrain from Factory Reset of any SONOS units without further consult.

Unfortunately, you haven’t confirmed the connection of one speaker using an Ethernet cable to your base Eero router, but that information will be in the diagnostic that buzz has recommended. 

It certainly sounds as if there is some sort of communication issue between your Eero system and your speakers that is causing the update to fail, for unknown reasons. Generally speaking, connecting one device to the base router can resolve that, although there are certainly other issues that can still cause a failure to complete the update, some as simple as virus protection programs, VPNs, or other systems blocking access to specific servers that Sonos uses to do the update process. Or, there could be a DNS issue completely outside your control. We just won’t know until Sonos is able to look at that diagnostic, which I would assume have some error logging to tell them what is going on.

I would certainly second the suggestion that you not do any factory resets to your system without instruction from Sonos reps. 

Badge +1

Two things i have no tried yet.... I have not tried to update with one speaker connected to Eeros router with cable. The second thing is that i have not deleted the app and started over ill try this tomorrow. 

You are not “starting over” by replacing an App. In the SONOS world, the controller APP does not store anything critical. The critical stuff, such as music service registrations, playlists, and the music library are stored elsewhere. This is why you can have multiple controllers on multiple platforms running simultaneously. Factory Reset will trash everything on the reset player. This is why we don’t recommend Factory Reset without a good cause, such as changing ownership of a unit.

Badge +1

I  co not plan on factory reset

Hi

since the last update (i started the iOS app and it requested a update of my 2 play:5 gen2 ...those 2 speakers are unusable….

There is something wrong with this update...it fails with Error 30 ...(The issue seems to be when the system reboots after the upload of the update…)

1- Those speakers are wired with the Sonos Boost (both are connected to the same router)

2 - I retried a reset and a re-attach

3 - But still error 30 when i tried to update it.

This is very annoying...I will contact Sonos Support tomorrow

•  

Make sure you submit a diagnostic before contacting them. That way they have something concrete to look at to help determine why you’re getting that error 30. 

Badge +1

I did not get chance to try update with one speaker wired.. But i have a Samsung Tablet (Android) and i tried to update the app on tablet and i get same error. 

I sent diagnostic report to Sonos. Number 2119381610

Badge +1

Tonight, I wired one of my speakers (Sonos One) direct to the router, and got the same error message.  So having one speaker wired did not allow the update to finish.  I submitted a second diagnostic to Sonos after this attempt.  That number is 508547674

One other thing which might be a something to note.  On my Eero Router App, my Sonos Arc, Sonos One Right and Sonos One Left show as being offline on the App.  These are all grouped together along with my Sonos Sub as part of my TV Sound System.  The Sub and all other Sonos speakers show as being online.  All three of those speaker show as last being online at 8:09PM tonight, which is about the time I tried to run the update. Not sure what to check next.

Userlevel 2

The Sonos app on my OnePlus 6 has totally lost the speaker system. Even clearing cache & storage doesn’t fix it. This is very strange, considering the Sonos client on my Windows 10 laptop on the same network still finds the speakers as always.

I eventually totally uninstalled the Sonos app on Android and re-installed from the Google play store. It immediately found the speakers. I’d say this is again ‘very strange,’ but then again, I see these kinds of things on a regular basis with Sonos speakers.

Badge +1

Dave, I think I might try deleting the app and then downloading the app again from Google Play Store.  I might try this first on my tablet and then on my phone if it works.  I can see all of the speakers in the app… it just will not update, and without the update, I can’t make any changes to the system without the update.  It is pretty frustrating.

Badge +1

I downloaded the client to my Windows 10 laptop… and I get the same errors trying to update the system..  so now I am thinking this is not an Android problem.

Sure sounds like an issue in your local network, since both the Android and the Windows controllers failed. Did you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge +1

I have not called support yet, was trying to figure out the update problem before I called them… but it looks like I will be making the call in the next day or two.

Userlevel 2

The Sonos app on my OnePlus 6 has totally lost the speaker system. Even clearing cache & storage doesn’t fix it. This is very strange, considering the Sonos client on my Windows 10 laptop on the same network still finds the speakers as always.

I eventually totally uninstalled the Sonos app on Android and re-installed from the Google play store. It immediately found the speakers. I’d say this is again ‘very strange,’ but then again, I see these kinds of things on a regular basis with Sonos speakers.

Update: The Sonos Android app lost connection again. Every day, I can uninstall the app, re-install it, and then it finds my system. By the following day, it has lost connection. And the cycle just repeats.

Throughout all of this, the Windows 10 client finds my Sonos speakers every time.

I am switching my router settings to give the OnePlus 6 phone a static IP, but I don’t know if this will fix anything.

Edit: I fixed it. For my Sonos Android app, I had somehow flipped the setting in the Android OS to restrict WiFi data usage for that one specific app. I somehow had this particular app set up so it was permitted to communicate on mobile data only, and not permitted to talk on WiFi. And this setting appears to persist, even if you uninstall and re-install the app. I flipped the setting back to normal, and the app finds the Sonos hardware again.

This problem was a config issue on my end. I have no memory of flipping this WiFi restriction option - it must have been a mistake somehow, as there’s no logical reason to do this in a normal setup. But it was my fault.

Anyone experiencing this issue on Android should check into their networking restrictions. OnePlus OxygenOS has this feature, and it’s probably available on a lot of other Android variants as well.

This is what I'm greeted with every time I try to use the Sonos app. I'm currently on Android Latest version  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it which worked fine before this update but I'm having the same issues with that. I've completely reset all my speakers and set them up again this time using an iPhone.

Everything works fine from the iPhone app.

I have a 5.1 setup, 2 Ones, a sub and an arc. Turning the arc off and back on again allows me in as far as the main Sonos app screen but if I try to select any sound source e.g. Sonos Radio, TV etc. the app force closes and I am greeted with the 'Sonos keeps stopping' window every time I try to open it.

This has made my almost €2000 setup impossible to use/control. Very disappointed.

I'm using a OnePlus 7 Pro on Android version 10.

I feel like I've tried everything and only an update to the so Sonos app might fix this but any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been going on for close to a week now. Thanks!

@Nikolaandova1298,

I would not reset any of your Sonos products again, as clearly the issue is with the android mobile device and not Sonos, as the iPhone controller confirms this. I assume you have tried ‘resetting’ or uninstalling/re-installing the Android Sonos Controller App?

Is the device running out of available storage capacity perhaps on the actual device itself (not the storage card)? I would just check that first of all…I would also check what else is running on the phone in memory and try to stop anything that’s unnecessary and finally check that any security software on the device is not preventing the Sonos App from running. 

If you have a backup of the phone you might even want to consider resetting the mobile (as a last resort) and see if that perhaps solves the issue.