Question

sonos app

• 21 November 2017
  • 7 replies

The app I have downloaded on my android tablet differs from that downloaded on my android smartphone. There is limited functionality on the tablet, and it won't let me update it. I have deleted it and reinstalled from Google play, but still no luck. For instance, when I go into help and tips, custom tune a speaker then 'lets try it' it says: "sorry, this feature is unavailable right now". According to the tablet the version running is 8.1.1. The phone is running version 8.2.1

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Android tablet may run a partially supported OS (4.0/4.1/4.2), therefore the Controller won't update to 8.2, but can still browse, search and play music.
This is really rubbish. The app worked fine before and the function to custom tune was available from my tablet. Now it isn't. So now I have to buy a new tablet with higher OS in order to get the functionality back? Will SONOS fund this? I very much doubt it, instead making ever more bizarre and unhelpful updates to the app which on the whole are uneccessary (eg the new stark, white background)
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Check current system requirements here:-
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127
Still needs me having to buy a new tablet to be able to fully operate the system following the update. This worked fine in the past.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I didn't think custom speaker tuning (aka Trueplay) was available on anything other than iOS? Or are you refering to teh ability to alter treble and bass controls?
I guess this also means new tablets for my son and daughter who have their own Play:1's as well.Thanks a bunch SONOS
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is not Sonos's sole issue or fault. It is mainly the result or operating systems changing so frequently and the difficulty Sonos and other App makers have with supporting such a range of versions of the OS's. Sonos will only want to support a single app and will want that to work on the latest OS, so there will always be older tablets and phones that will eventually not be supported and have limited functionality. It is the inexorable march of technology 😞

It is the the case on iOS too 😞

At least Sonos still works for the majority of it's functionality. The bits missing are not normally frequent tasks.

John