Answered

So half my system is now redundant !!!!!!!

So…..  With the new S1 & S2 controlers now discriminating devices i am no longer able to play the same music in all rooms in my house !!!!!

The 4 play 5 speakers i have in the livingroom can now ONLY work with the S1 controler.

And the bedrooms, Kitchen, Garage & Office only work on the S2 controler.

So im either Forced to buy 4 new play 5 speakers to enable all music in all rooms.

Or live with the fact that after years of excelent service …. Some bright spark at Sonos thinks this is an exceptable UPGRADE !!!!!!!

I THINK IT SUCKS !!!!!

icon

Best answer by controlav 18 April 2021, 15:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

According to your profile you have Sonos One and Play:1 in addition to Play:5/gen1. You can continue to run the entire system on S1. You do not need to split it.

PS. Your caps lock button appears to be stuck.

Hi Ratty.

Sadly not the case ….

When using the S1 controler  Play 5’s in the livingroom & Office are all ok and usable .

All the others show “ needs update “ and are un selectable to be added to group play.

If you try to update you get error code 1101 .

Obviously i have re booted all units as sugested  but still not working .

When using S2 controler all other units are playable except the play 5’s marked as incopatable.

So i think you are wrong …

Any info gratefully received

P.S. I also dont think the discount offered to upgrade units is any where enough for something that worked perfectly before this update !!

It sounds like you somehow partially updated the system to S2 without splitting it. Some of the units are evidently running S1, some S2.

To get things back to an all-S1 system you’d need to downgrade the units that are now incompatible. See https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845, section “Is this process reversible?”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You have already updated some of your players to S2. Don’t confuse “needs update” (which means firmware out of date) with the S1->S2 upgrade.

If I were you I would:

Power down all the s2-running devices

make sure the remaining s1 devices are up to date and all happy

Factory reset one of the S2 devices, and Add it to your S1 system

Repeat this for each S2 device

This will get you an all-S1 system again.

Hi Controlav.

Ok understood…… I will give it a go and report back in a bit..

Thanks for the advice..:fingers_crossed:

You have already updated some of your players to S2. Don’t confuse “needs update” (which means firmware out of date) with the S1->S2 upgrade.

If I were you I would:

Power down all the s2-running devices

make sure the remaining s1 devices are up to date and all happy

Factory reset one of the S2 devices, and Add it to your S1 system

Repeat this for each S2 device

This will get you an all-S1 system again.

Hi Controlav,,,

So nice idea in theory……  Did as you suggested .. The problem is when you launch the S1 App all is ok untill you try to add a new device then it immeaditly tells you that this app needs updating forcing you to install the S2 app.. !!!!!!!

You now dont seem to be able to add new units to the S1 controler !!!

HELP ???   :tired_face:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Controlav,,,

So nice idea in theory……  Did as you suggested .. The problem is when you launch the S1 App all is ok untill you try to add a new device then it immeaditly tells you that this app needs updating forcing you to install the S2 app.. !!!!!!!

You now dont seem to be able to add new units to the S1 controler !!!

HELP ???   :tired_face:

So long as it is just the S1 App that needs updating, you will be fine. To be safe uninstall the “Sonos” (S2) app and never install it. Without the S2 app being let onto your phone, your devices will be safe from errant S2 updates (well unless someone else on your network does it).

Deleting/not installing the S2 app is excellent advice. The system cannot upgrade to S2 if the app isn't there on the phone.

All Now Fixed :blush:

Badge

I have x3 Sonos 1s which I can upgrade the new software on and a sonos 5 and a bridge which I cant, if I upgrade the 1s what happens to the 5 and the bridge can I still use them all together?

No, S1 and S2 systems can not be grouped. In your case, you’re better off in just staying with S1 for now, until you’re ready to replace the PLAY:5 Gen 1 and the BRIDGE. Then you could move to S2. 

Badge

Thank you Bruce, what a shame that's what I thought, I’ll do like you say for the time being.