Answered

Setting up One SL in a household with S1 speakers

• 29 April 2024
  • 5 replies

I have moved into a houseshare which has an existing system of Sonos speakers (using the S1 app) and am trying to set up my own speaker for my room (Sonos One SL) on the S2 app, however everytime I sign in - it just prompts me to join the existing network and won’t allow me to set up my product. The top three options in settings (Account, System, Services) are all greyed out. 

I have tried to downgrade my product but it can’t find it on the system even after restoring my sonos to factory settings.

Is there a way that I can set up my speaker on the same wifi network as the S1 speakers as the app is currently preventing this!

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 30 April 2024, 12:29

View original

5 replies

Try temporarily unplugging the S1 speakers from the wall. 

Or, you could ‘forget’ the current system in your controller. Then rejoin it once you’ve set up your own, if necessary. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@pollyparkin 

Downgrading OneSL to S1 is not possible. You just can set them up on a S2 system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe using a travel-router to split your stuff off the home’s network would let both operate without problems.

Hi all - thanks for sharing the below. This is really helpful - although I can’t seem to set up on my S2 system app as it prompts me to connect to the existing system (on the S1 app) and greys out the three actions in settings (Account, System, Services) which would allow me to set up a new system. Will try unplugging S1 speakers, but any other suggestions let me know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@pollyparkin

I think unplugging ALL speakers as @Airgetlam suggested will work and the app let you add another system. 
But there will be no option to choose between the systems manually. The app will connect to the system automatically that first is sending a ping. So I suggest just to use the S2 system and use the forget system option when connected to the S1 system. 
If you want to use both you would have to use different ssids for them.