Answered

Playstation 3 Dolby Digital 2021

• 16 April 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Once upon a time, I owned a PS3 and a Sonos Playbar. 

I seem to remember that I was able to force the PS3 to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital and I would then bypass my tv to get that to the Playbar (as the TV would convert anything from HDMI to PCM). 

That PS3, TV and Playbar is now long gone and instead I have an LG GX and two Sonos AMPs. 

I now again need a Blu-ray player to play my old collection of movies but it needs to have HDMI-CEC and preferably also some app-control. 

Do I remember correctly that the PS3 would transcode on the fly and is that still the case?

I can pick up used ones for pennies so it would be an easy solution. 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 16 April 2021, 09:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You'll find more on this subject here: How can I get my PS3 to transcode DTS to DD5.1 to work with my playbar? | Sonos Community

It looks as though you'd have to use an optical connection, that the Amp does not have. I have read the XBox can decode DTS on the fly on an HDMI connection.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

You'll find more on this subject here: How can I get my PS3 to transcode DTS to DD5.1 to work with my playbar? | Sonos Community

It looks as though you'd have to use an optical connection, that the Amp does not have. I have read the XBox can decode DTS on the fly on an HDMI connection.

I have one (Xbox One) and it can. But it does not support HDMI-CEC so basically impossible to control on my setup where AV-equipment is located far from my tv with HDMI wired in the walls. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have one (Xbox One) and it can. But it does not support HDMI-CEC so basically impossible to control on my setup where AV-equipment is located far from my tv with HDMI wired in the walls. 

Sounds like you need to upgrade to an Xbox Series X, which does include HDMI-CEC (and DTS transcoding).

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Sounds like you need to upgrade to an Xbox Series X, which does include HDMI-CEC (and DTS transcoding).

Might be stretching the budget a bit for the annual Planet of the Apes 1968 screening :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you could rip your DVD’s or Blu-Rays, you could play them using Kodi on an Nvidia Shield. Kodi will transcode DTS to DD on the fly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

If you could rip your DVD’s or Blu-Rays, you could play them using Kodi on an Nvidia Shield. Kodi will transcode DTS to DD on the fly.

:D Then I would rather get the Xbox X

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Can the Xbox One S also do HDMI-CEC? Seems like it and they are not too expensive second hand. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can the Xbox One S also do HDMI-CEC? Seems like it and they are not too expensive second hand. 

No, the older generation does not support HDMI-CEC. TV control was done via IR blaster on the gen 8 devices.