Answered

Playlists and Sonos Queue

• 29 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Is there any way with Sonos to “lock” two or more songs to play in specific within a playlist or queue?  In other words, if “shuffle” is selected, can two songs be chosen to always play together despite shuffle?  (I know I can always play the same queue in the same order without shuffle - just wondering if there is any way to “lock” songs together.)

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 April 2024, 19:34

View original

2 replies

I don’t think there is a concept of tying two songs together in a shuffled queue. Especially difficult when playing a stream from someone else.

The thing I’ve resorted to on my ‘local’ collection is to rip the connected songs into a single track. iTunes allows me to concatenate when ripping, I’d assume other ripping software does as well. Of course, somewhere around on my various devices, there’s a list of tracks I need to fix, but at this point, I think there’s just one on it. When I started that process, there were maybe 50.

I listen to certain albums all at one time, others can be shuffled, it depends on the music type. And some of them I’ve double ripped, once as an entire album concatenated, and then again as individual tracks. It merely requires renaming of the tracks when I rip them, to make sure I know which ones are ‘concatenated’ and leave the others alone.

Back in the day, it seemed to be in vogue to separately track label intros and songs. Not sure if that was to psychologically pump of the value of the CD when purchasing it (ooo, it has 15 tracks!), but at some point, in this day and age, it’s just an annoyance. There are certain tracks that should never had been separated. 

And when I say ‘iTunes’, I really mean Apple Music, nowadays. Sigh.