Answered

Play5: Gen2 Stereo Pair, does it require SonosNet?

• 29 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Afternoon! 

I’ve got a Play5 Gen2 with a bunk Wi-Fi chip. Works great over ethernet or if I have a WiFi mesh node within 1ft of it. 

Currently, it’s running over Wi-Fi with a mesh node next to it. As far as the Sonos ecosystem is concerned it’s on Wi-Fi and working fine. 

I was considering adding a second as a stereo pair, but my concern is that the pairing will require Sonos Net which means it likely won’t work with the bad Wi-Fi card. 

Will the stereo pair work strictly over my home Wi-Fi? Or does a stereo pair of Play5 Gen2 do the stereo pairing via Sonos Net?

icon

Best answer by buzz 29 April 2024, 03:54

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Stereo pairing is accomplished wirelessly as there is no cable between the two components. To your question the SonosNet is not required to create a stereo pair. You’ll have to see if the paring is successful to know if wiring one speaker is necessary.  

I’ve never had to wire any of my speakers for setup nor paring. Oops, I forgot I did have to wire an old Sonos Playbar that had been mothballed for a year to get it ready for sale.

If the wireless card is causing issues, disable the radio and wire the unit. This option is mislabeled as “WiFi” because it is really the whole radio. In this case I recommend wiring the second unit too.