Answered

Play 1s on arc and beam set up constantly disconnecting

• Contributor I
  • 7 replies

I have a recently developing issue where my sonos arc set up and beam set up keep losing the PLAY1 surrounds. Not I have an arc set up with the new ones with no issue. However both rooms running the play 1s constantly disconnect from surround and have to be reset to get them reconnected. I have a further 2 play 1s in my kitchen which don't give me any issue, but this seems to link to them being part of the home theatre set up. 

Any one Amy ideas? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 July 2021, 13:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Refrain from Factory Reset without further consult. Likely you can work around the issue by rebooting BEAM. Submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes after one of these events and again after the reboot. You can post the confirmation number here.

Userlevel 7

Hi 

I guess @buzz was able to decipher your post.  I’m a bit confused :thinking:

You stated...

1. have a recently developing issue where my sonos arc set up and beam set up keep losing the PLAY1 surrounds. 
  2. have an arc set up with the new ones with no issue.
  3. However both rooms running the play 1s constantly disconnect from surround and have to be reset to get them reconnected.
  4. I have a further 2 play 1s in my kitchen which don't give me any issue, but this seems to link to them being part of the home theatre set up.

Just exactly how many setups do you have with surrounds bonded to an Arc and/or Beam?

Also, what do you mean that your Play 1’s in the Kitchen seems….to link to them being part of the home theatre set up?

3 x home theatre set ups 

1 arc + sub + 2 play 1

1 beam +sub+ 2 play 1

1 arc + sub + ones

A sono 1 in bedroom

2 x sonos play 1s in kitchen

Both beam and arc set ups running play 1s keep losing the surrounds and you have to do a full reset to get them reconnected. 

Goif,

By the way, Factory Rest trashes diagnostic information. Have you tried rebooting(simply removing power for a few seconds) the ARC or BEAM?

I have. Not working the plays now set up in a Living room 2 set up when I'm adding them to the existing living room

I suggest submitting a diagnostic now, separate the PLAY ONE pair, reboot the PLAY ONE’s and the matching ARC or BEAM, then add the PLAY ONE’s to the ARC or BEAM and submit another diagnostic. Keep track of the confirmation numbers.

Also, there is no automatic response to you after submitting a diagnostic. You must post the confirmation numbers here or reach out to Support.

No problem. I had been messing about with it as we had been discussing it. All working at the moment, but as soon as they drop again I will do a full diagnostic check and post the number

Userlevel 7

How is your network configured…. 

1. Router and Modem?
  2. Router, Modem with Range extender/Access points?
  3. Mesh Network System (i.e. main node and satellites) ?
  4. Are you in the UK? If so what router/modem are you using/

WiFi 

A couple of range extenders

Sky broadband. 

Userlevel 7

HI

Thanks for the info:

Networks with range extenders can be problematic for Sonos as are some Mesh networks.

1. The range extenders must not be DNS capable. Meaning they should not be able to generate an IP address. 
  2. I’ve read in the forum that SKY networks sometimes cause problems because they broadcast the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands together with no separation. If possible separate the bands. Newer Sonos does not have an issue with combined bands but the Play 1’s may have.

To test if the Range extenders are causing the problem here are three (3) options (each is a stand-alone..not a combination of any kind):

1. Remove the extenders
  2. Create the Sonos Mesh to isolate Sonos by wiring a speaker to your main router.        Note: You cannot wire a speaker used as a surround or Sonos Sub. You can use any stand-alone speaker even if it is part of a stereo pair (excluding the Move and Roam).
  3. Create the Sonos Mesh to isolate Sonos by wiring a Sonos Boost module to your main router.

Note: The surrounds are supposed to be connecting to a ‘hidden’ 5Ghz channel created by the Arc and Beam, and not your WiFi or extenders,  so you’d want to be sure that both devices and the surrounds have their ‘radios/WiFi’ turned on, and look for potential wifi interference on that frequency. But that interference may not be created by your extenders, it could be an external source, too. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Giof 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I highly recommend you connect a single Sonos device to your network with ethernet permanently to prevent your Sonos speakers from having to utilise your extenders and Sky Q boxes (which act as extenders), if you have any. Extenders are unsupported. Please keep the wired Sonos device and the router 1m apart. If no devices “live” within reach of your main router, you may want to get a Boost, but I recommend testing with a speaker there first to see if a Boost will actually help.

The Beam and the Arc that are affected both seem to be very close to WiFi access points - too close. I appreciate that if these are Sky Q boxes then your options for separating them are somewhat limited, but if they are very close then any increase in separation will help. Again, 1m separation is considered an ideal minimum, but please see what you can do.

If you cannot separate the devices from the access points, you may want to consider disabling 5GHz broadcasts on the access points in question. If these are Sky Q boxes, you’ll need to go into the Engineer’s Menu to do this:

How to access the Sky Q hidden engineers menu

• Press the 'Home' button on your remote control.
  • Scroll down to 'Settings' and DO NOT press select.
  • Press '001'.
  • Press 'Select'

Once in, disable 5GHz in the Network section and apply changes.

You may find some more help/explanation on my troubleshooting article here:

Note: the article describes disabling 2.4GHz on Sky Q boxes, but in your case it’s 5GHz that we want to reduce interference of.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry. It would seem the issue lies with the sky boxes. I currently have 2 extenders and 3 secondary sky boxes which tbh are required to give decent coverage across my property. 

Other that upgrading to Sonos Ones is there anything else we could do to resolve this? Wiring it Sonos units not really an option for us

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Giof 

I am not sure that upgrading Play:1s to Ones would help in this situation - I certainly wouldn’t expect it to. You could test by swapping them over, I suppose.

The way I see it is you have two options:

1. Prevent Sky from broadcasting 5GHz, as described earlier. If this degrades performance on Sky, then ethernet-wire all Sky boxes and disable 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi on them.
  2. Prevent Sonos from using Sky-broadcasted WiFi. This is preferred. Wiring one Sonos device (and it doesn’t have to be an Arc or Beam) to ethernet permanently will achieve this on all of your Sonos system, except Roams and Moves. I don’t recommend wiring a Sub or surround speaker. As mentioned, if you don’t have a speaker you’re happy wiring, purchase a Boost and wire it instead.

Technically, buying a third-party router and setting up another network would also work, though I wouldn’t recommend it as a solution as it’s a bit over-kill. If you had another router and connected all your devices, including Sonos, to it then removed the Sky network details from your devices, then Sky WiFi would no longer be something that Sonos connects to. A Boost would be a cleaner solution, however.