Answered

Optical on pc issues

Hello,

I have a Sonos Arc with a sub + surrounds that I have used on my PC for a while and had no issues having it connected to the optical port, a couple weeks ago I didn't get sound from my arc I didn't do any updates or change anything. 
First I tried my Arc on a TV to check the optical adapter and the HDMI, when I connected using the optical it didn't work I then plugged the HDMI directly in and worked so I tried the optical again after and it then worked I decided to get a replacement optical adapter from Sonos anyways to be sure but had the same issues. I have tested my PC’s optical port with other devices like my Astros and it works fine I'm not sure what todo anymore just seems very odd and its very frustrating any help or advise would be great.  

icon

Best answer by Ben G-A 25 June 2021, 13:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried unplugging the Arc from power for a couple of minutes?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Did the codec change? eg did it switch to DTS (not supported) instead of DD 5.1 (supported)?

Have you tried unplugging the Arc from power for a couple of minutes?

I have tried this a couple of times  

Did the codec change? eg did it switch to DTS (not supported) instead of DD 5.1 (supported)?

Not sure how I would check this but unless it did it by itself. I just plug the arc in to the optical port and it just works the only time I have changed anything is in the Sonos app like the base and eq levels

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Dumb question alert!!

Did you try another optical cable.  They are quite fragile, especially the end connectors.

Dumb question alert!!

Did you try another optical cable.  They are quite fragile, especially the end connectors.

Sonos sent me a new optical adapter but did the same thing 

Check the software on the PC, for both the ‘player’ and the settings for the optical output. As controlav suggests, it’s possible something changed there, and the optical connection is sending something to the Sonos that it can’t interpret. 

Check the software on the PC, for both the ‘player’ and the settings for the optical output. As controlav suggests, it’s possible something changed there, and the optical connection is sending something to the Sonos that it can’t interpret. 

Im not sure what you mean by the software were would I find this ? My optical output is called Realtek digital output my astro work through this output I have also updated the drivers 

There would be settings in both whatever piece of software you’re using to play the source that should be checked, as well as in the driver settings for the Realtek. Especially if you’ve updated, as sometimes they miss the fact that the update changes the output type.

Essentially, you’re looking to be sure that both sides reflect Dolby Digital 5.1 and not anything like Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS, or even “Best available”. The maximum that can be received via the optical connector on the Sonos is Dolby Digital, not any of the “higher” codecs. 

I suspect that some update for one of those two “settings” areas was updated to something other than Dolby Digital, and your Realtek is trying to send something that doesn’t get processed by the Arc via optical. But you have to check both the “player” application, and the Realtek, as it could be in either, or both. 

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'm not exactly sure what fixed my issue but i was looking on the Sonos app and I turned on TV Autoplay and turned it back off and audio started coming out of my Sonos system so I'm not sure what was going on but it seems to be working fine