Answered

New Sonos App Doesn't Show Files on Device

• 20 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

I just updated to the “new” Sonos app and updated my speakers.  However I noticed that whenever I do a search now it doesn’t show the music files on my device.  Is that expected?  The old app used to search both my Music Library and my device’s music files.  Did Sonos really take away the ability to play files off your device?  If so that seems like something that should have been clearly identified before asking Users to upgrade.

icon

Best answer by John B 21 June 2020, 00:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It still shows on my Android. Was taken away for Apple devices in S1 already because Apple chose to break that feature.

Well over a year ago. There is a thread here with various alternate options. 

Badge

Well over a year ago. There is a thread here with various alternate options. 

Thanks for that, but it says there that Android (which I have) will still be able to play local files.  In fact I was able to play them right up until I upgraded to the new Sonos app.  So that sucks.  Yes I have a NAS server setup for my music library but the device files were a great backup.  Now if my NAS server goes down for some reason I have no music

This is still fine on my Android phone, using S1 or S2. It hasn't been removed. 

Try this. Go into Settings on your phone (not the Sonos app). Go into Apps and scroll down to Sonos. Make sure that the Storage permission is allowed for Sonos. 

Badge

Try this. Go into Settings on your phone (not the Sonos app). Go into Apps and scroll down to Sonos. Make sure that the Storage permission is allowed for Sonos. 

Thanks John!  That was the issue.  Once I added the permission for the new app my search results now show files on my device as well.  Appreciate it

I’ve ran into this ever since upgrading to s2 app. Local device media is not found, even though, the music files (supported format) are in the Music folder.  Permissions have been double-checked, removed, readded, etc. PowerAmp app find the Local Music folder without any issues.  

Possible issue:  S2 App see the SD card and assumes the music is on the SD card Music folder. 

Have not pulled the SD card out as the case is difficult to remove and risk cracking of the screen. If Sonos wants me to try and the screen cracks, then Sonos can pay for a new Note 8 or better. Customers should not be the testing bed. 

Sent two emails to support with no response in a months time. So, Sonos support is a lost cause. Which brought me here to the forums.  Rethinking my entire home setup without Sonos.