Question

New app & music library - several questions

• 10 May 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Well, what a disaster. Here is another long-time Sonos user utterly baffled as to why this app upgrade was released. I would appreciate answers to a few simple questions.

I have a large (approx 2000) library of CDs held on a usb drive, connected to my router.

The new app finds the library, but there is no album art. Why?

If I search for an artist, it brings back options for Spotify, Mixcloud, etc etc, but not my CD library. Why?

My playlists (some of which have hundreds of tracks) appear in the Sonos favourites section, but if I click on them, there is no track listing. Why? Once they are playing, I can click on a button which shows the track listing, but how do I edit the playlist?

If I go into my library and drill down to a song, the option to add it to a playlist has gone. How do I do it? In fact, how do I create a new playlist???!!!

How do I tell Sonos to re-index the library when I add another CD? In the old app I set it to re-index every morning at 3am. Is that still happening?

All of these questions relate to things which the new app has apparently stopped me from doing. And that's an upgrade?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Well, what a disaster. Here is another long-time Sonos user utterly baffled as to why this app upgrade was released. I would appreciate answers to a few simple questions.

I have a large (approx 2000) library of CDs held on a usb drive, connected to my router.

The new app finds the library, but there is no album art. Why?

If I search for an artist, it brings back options for Spotify, Mixcloud, etc etc, but not my CD library. Why?

My playlists (some of which have hundreds of tracks) appear in the Sonos favourites section, but if I click on them, there is no track listing. Why? Once they are playing, I can click on a button which shows the track listing, but how do I edit the playlist?

If I go into my library and drill down to a song, the option to add it to a playlist has gone. How do I do it? In fact, how do I create a new playlist???!!!

How do I tell Sonos to re-index the library when I add another CD? In the old app I set it to re-index every morning at 3am. Is that still happening?

All of these questions relate to things which the new app has apparently stopped me from doing. And that's an upgrade?

I fully agree with all of your issues. It´s a disaster. OTOH, you should consider yourself to be lucky to have any playlists at all! 😉

After having updated, at first they were gone, then they reappeared and now they´re gone again. 🤐

It´s a disaster. And a disgrace.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Reading some of the other threads, the answer is being given that, don't worry, the missing options are still there in the Windows/Mac apps. Hardly an answer. I do have an old Windows PC, which I switch on about once a fortnight. Why so rarely? Because smartphone apps have come on by leaps and bounds, and I can do almost everything I need to on my phone. Until yesterday ....

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Reading some of the other threads, the answer is being given that, don't worry, the missing options are still there in the Windows/Mac apps.

That's true. The only thing working as it should is the vintage Windows Desktop Controller...

Badge

Any idea how to add 1 song from apple to an existing queue?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same issues.  My Android phone that I updated to version 80 has less features than before. Like the original author, I have thousands of tracks in my local Music Library.  Album art no longer shows up.  The “info” button at the bottom right when playing at track says:

“Unable to load. Some information is missing from this content.”

which I know is not true because it was there yesterday. I thought maybe it needs to rescan the library. Well, the option is not currently available.  I used to have it setup to rescan each day at 2am.  I let it sit overnight and still no album art or track info.  Sigh.

I have been working on a few new playlists and now, apparently, there is no option to add local tracks to playlists.  Sigh.

I understand most people use streaming services these days, I do too.  But what I really loved about Sonos is the ability to listen to my MP3s. 

I also find the interface clunky.  If I touch the volume slide bar it may go in either direction; it’s overally sensitive. 

Luckily I have another phone still running S2.  I may try to down grade my other phone if I can.  Either way I am not impressed.  It looks to me like someone was trying to make a deadline and shipped too early.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Following the instructions in a few other threads, I have gone back to v16.1.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

A day later, I was hoping for some kind of announcement from Sonos, if not actual answers to my questions. But neither…

The advertised Q&A session on Tuesday could be fun, if it happens at all.

Any replies from Sonos? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Nope...