Question

new app

Userlevel 3

I just installed the new app and at first sight it‘s totally crap :(

First thing I want/need to do is set a new alarm clock for tomorrow morning… hard to find the function at all. Easy access is something different… setting new times is not possible - function will be available with future updates… honestly????

please tell me this is not what you really release! Give me back the old app! Now!!!

42 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I know it’s just the first day, but I’m really struggling with the new user interface. Lots of things seem to be missing, and it’s very hard to maneuver, as drop down screens, buttons etc are very slow to respond. I was fine with the old app and wish I could get that back.

@Joe Dax,

I’m able to add/edit/delete an alarm in the new Sonos App… see screenshot attached.

Goto ‘Settings/Manage/Alarms’ to access the feature.

Userlevel 1

New app is unfortunately far from being intuitive, must say, that old was easier to navigate. I struggle to find what I am searching for.

In my case app didn't recognized it was playing signal from TV and when I put playing from Spotify, it just played and not possible to return back to play content from TV. I had to turn off TV to get back to play TV YouTube. In old app it was possible to see that TV is playing and get back to that source. (TV connected through Arc)

New app is unfortunately far from being intuitive, must say, that old was easier to navigate. I struggle to find what I am searching for.

In my case app didn't recognized it was playing signal from TV and when I put playing from Spotify, it just played and not possible to return back to play content from TV. I had to turn off TV to get back to play TV YouTube. In old app it was possible to see that TV is playing and get back to that source. (TV connected through Arc)

With your TV room in focus in the new App, on the main Home Screen, you just simply select the TV icon in the ‘Your Sources’ area of the App and that will switch it from playing Spotify. back to playing the TV audio.

…or you can use a voice assistant instruction “Hey Sonos (or Alexa) switch to TV Mode in the Living Room” or simply press the volume up button repeatedly on the TV remote control.

Hope that assists. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Joe Dax,

I’m able to add/edit/delete an alarm in the new Sonos App… see screenshot attached.

It’s not available for everyone. Some have no access to alarms from /Settings/Manage and some can only turn existing alarms on and off. It’s good that you can access them. 

What platform are you using and what app version cause there’s actually been updates to the app today (80.00, 80.00.02 and 80.00.04)

Oddly, I can access Settings / Manage / Alarm even though I have no alarms set, using iOS build 80.00. Hard to imagine they pulled the functionality from subsequent releases. 

And yet, it appears they have. I just updated to 80.00.04, and it is gone. Most curious. 

Oddly, I can access Settings / Manage / Alarm even though I have no alarms set, using iOS build 80.00. Hard to imagine they pulled the functionality from subsequent releases. 

Yes same here - I use iPad and iPhone controllers - I have an Android tablet, but not updated that yet, but I’ll check it tomorrow. Alarms are working here though.👍

And yet, it appears they have. I just updated to 80.00.04, and it is gone. Most curious. 

I think these App features, can be enabled/disabled server-side for fixing/updates etc. so it’s perhaps just some ‘teething issues’ that the developers are resolving during the roll out on Day-1. The new App distribution seems to be staggered too, as some UK users are mentioning they are not seeing the App in their device App Store. I guess worldwide update/distribution of the App is perhaps more complicated than we may realise. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It wasn’t hard for me to imagine with how bad this app update is. 

Probably best to not update at all at this point or you might lose other function like play/pause 🤣 It truly can get worse  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I think these App features, can be enabled/disabled server-side for fixing/updates etc. so it’s perhaps just some ‘teething issues’ that the developers are resolving during the roll out on Day-1. The new App distribution seems to be staggered too, as some UK users are mentioning they are not seeing the App in their device App Store. I guess worldwide update/distribution of the App is perhaps more complicated than we may realise. 

It’s not teething issues, it’s a massive dumpster fire of an update that is somehow getting worse. 

It’s not teething issues, it’s a massive dumpster fire of an update that is somehow getting worse. 

I’m not really having that much difficulty with the new App @Bumper. I’m just sat here listening to a familiar playlist and all my Sonos devices/rooms are ‘present and correct’ - the Music Services that I subscribe to (Amazon/Apple) are working okay. Alexa is working. I don’t use Sonos Alarms, I don’t need to add/remove or Trueplay a device. My favourites/shortcuts (pinned services as they are now called) seem to be working okay.

I have switched off ‘recently played’ and ‘search history’, as I never use those things. The only complaints I have is the App takes a little too long to launch from a fully closed state (15s) - I’d like to get that down to say 8s, but I’ll get around that by backgrounding the App, rather than closing it, at least it opens near-instantly that way.

Yes I want back the ‘play next’, ‘add to end of queue’ playback options and the usual queue functionality, but I can wait for that. The App has not crashed, not even once here (touch wood) and seems stable on my iPad (main controller) … not had any issues with playing on my speakers from the App so far, but nothings really changed on the networking/hardware side - I don’t use SonosNet, as some here may already know.

Room grouping/ungrouping is working.

So far, so good.. I really would like the screen/functionality (image attached taken from Sonos.com) to be implemented in the new App and I can then probably wait for anything else to be fixed, later.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I guess my idea of a successful app update is not that it didn’t crash and that some of the features still exist. I’ll eagerly await version 80.00.80 when they finally add back the queue features have been around since ~2005.

Badge +1

@Joe Dax,

I do not have Alarms listed on my iPhone... Are you referring to the Windows / Mac interface? 

I see NO alarm settings in the new app!. I have a iPhone 13 running iOS 17.4.1

I just installed the new Sonos app, and it is garbage! I have to get up early in the morning, yet there is no longer an alarm feature on this app. What am I supposed to do? I went to settings/manage and there is no mention of alarms. Fix this immediately!

I had hoped that “Alarm settings” would be far more accessible than thru quit a number of steps in system settings. I assume it will come back and I sincerely hope more accessible. 

@Joe Dax,

I do not have Alarms listed on my iPhone... Are you referring to the Windows / Mac interface? 

I have the application on Mac. and in the bottom right hand corner option for Alarms.

I see ‘Alarms’ in the Apps ‘Settings/Manage’ area, but some report having an update and not seeing the feature (or they’re looking in the wrong place), or maybe it’s being rolled out region by region, or linked to the make/model of controller, who knows at this early stage. I’d just let the dust settle and see how things pan-out for this feature.

Just to add I don’t see ‘Alarms’ in the new ‘Web App’ but maybe it’s there somewhere - I’m still finding my way around the new software.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I assume it's all in the Documentation that accompanies such radical releases.  Companies don't usually expect their guinea pigs/users to blunder their way through trying to find things.

Userlevel 1

Updated to 80.00. Can’t connect to my system (1 Play:1 two Play:3 in stereo; Boost; iPhone 15; iPad pro). Resetted everything. Initially worked, but after a while couldn’t connect anymore. Very disappointed. My system can’t play now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

No “Alarms” showing since updated on my iPhone 15. So incredibly frustrating. Plus other functions missing. Why on earth launch a sparkling new update with basic functions missing? Would you update an aircraft and launch it with basic parts missing? Whoever in management would approve that?Sincerely regret updating the app and would love to revert to earlier, easy to use version. Not many people like change but this seems like change for change sake and I can’t find any improvement. Maddening and needs fixing now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey guys! A couple of questions:

1. Got the new Sonos app version 80 yesterday. Today i updated my sonos products. As i understand it the software for the sonos speakers should also be 80, but in my case all my products are version 78.1-5202. Is this normal? If i click on system update the app says there are no updates available.
  2. Where can i see status about Sonosnet in the new app? The old one said WM:0 (i believe) but this has been removed from system information. In the old app you could also change the Sonosnet-channel but that is nowhere to be found.

1. Got the new Sonos app version 80 yesterday. Today i updated my sonos products. As i understand it the software for the sonos speakers should also be 80, but in my case all my products are version 78.1-5202. Is this normal? If i click on system update the app says there are no updates available.

It was just an App/software update only, there has not been a change to the speakers firmware/software, so what you’re seeing is fine.

1. Where can i see status about Sonosnet in the new app? The old one said WM:0 (i believe) but this has been removed from system information. In the old app you could also change the Sonosnet-channel but that is nowhere to be found.

In the new App goto "Settings (cog icon)” and select a ‘Sonos Room/Product/Network’… if you check the connection it shows if a device is using SonosNet or your local WiFi .. at least that’s how I checked/found the answer I was looking for. It shows the channel in use too.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It was just an App/software update only, there has not been a change to the speakers firmware/software, so what you’re seeing is fine.

1. Where can i see status about Sonosnet in the new app? The old one said WM:0 (i believe) but this has been removed from system information. In the old app you could also change the Sonosnet-channel but that is nowhere to be found.

In the new App goto "Settings (cog icon)” and select a ‘Sonos Room/Product/Network’… if you check the connection it shows if a device is using SonosNet or your local WiFi .. at least that’s how I checked/found the answer I was looking for. It shows the channel in use too.

About Sonosnet. Yeah, found it. So we have to check if it says “SSID not available” which would mean that it is using Sonosnet? And not being able to change the channel is just...Bad.