late night listening

• 10 October 2021
  • 14 replies

Hi

is play 5suitable for a very small room (about 6 sqm) and for very quiet late night listening?

I.e.  can sonos five be played in very low volume,and stil provide extremely good sound and bass?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Lack of bass at low listening levels is a human failing, not an equipment issue. FIVE will perform as well as any speaker of its size in this respect. The “Loudness” function of equipment attempts to vary the system’s output in a way that complements the human’s perception capability. In this respect, FIVE, along with its Trueplay capability, is better than most systems. I think that you’ll want to enable FIVE’s Loudness function and place FIVE near the walls in a corner. SUB will enhance the system’s bass capability. You would probably appreciate placing SUB in a corner on the floor.

Thank you buzz

I appreciate and understand your explanation re bass in low volume.
IHave been using bose sundlink mini 2 and it has a nice bass even in very low volume.I want now to upgrade my listening experience,and that is why  I consider buying sonos 5.

sAs the sonos 5 is expansive for me, Icannot afford buying right  now a sub as well.

Still,from your experience can at least some bass expected in very low volume from the  sonos5?

I listen to jazz music most of the time...

Thanks again

IHave been using bose sundlink mini 2 and it has a nice bass even in very low volume.I want now to upgrade my listening experience,and that is why  I consider buying sonos 5.

sAs the sonos 5 is expansive for me, Icannot afford buying right  now a sub as well.

Still,from your experience can at least some bass expected in very low volume from the  sonos5?

I listen to jazz music most of the time...

Thanks again

The sound link mini has a bloated bass and if you are used to that, for some time, the more natural bass from Sonos speakers will sound thin to you...but once you get accustomed to that, you will not want to listen to the sound link again.

Why don't you consider a One pair in place of the Five? At low listening levels, the better bass from the 5 units will not be available while the stereo imaging of the One pair even in a small room will not disappoint.

And if budgets are consideration, even a single One is a good place to start.

Thank you so much
starting to consider  a pair i one.

If I understand correctly,than the best of all option for low volume listening is five+sub,

second best is rwo ones

third option is a single one.

thanks again

If I understand correctly,than the best of all option for low volume listening is five+sub,

second best is rwo ones

I would put one+Sub to be equal second best with two ones. Or, if stereo image is not important to you, One + Sub as second, two ones as third. Single One then would be fourth.

Thank you very very much!

Badge

second best is rwo ones

I would put one+Sub to be equal second best with two ones. Or, if stereo image is not important to you, One + Sub as second, two ones as third. Single One then would be fourth.

I can concur here!!! While I LOVE my Five and Play5….  The new Ones are amazing, and when paired with a gen 2 or 3 sub take to another level. Especially while listening to jazz. If you can dive the change for a second one for pairing I would recommend this setup especially for jazz and when you can turn UP that volume and dance line nobodies watching. Lol. Good luck. 

PS I crank my 2 Sonos subs late night with a number of other Sonos speakers (2 ones, play5 and 5 part of this). Rock with pride, as music is life. I’m about to add a sign outside by my alarm sign saying something like hone monitored by Sonos and will run at fiull capacity 24x7 🤷‍♂️😜

Subs are not just for rattling the neighbours; they also serve very well in low level listening by letting the bass remain palpable, and the music sounding rich - music such as jazz with a base guitar played by people like Ron Carter/Nicky Parrott in the mix. One Sub is usually ample, while those using two should know enough about their installation such that they don't cancel out each other or do other funny things via the interaction of the sound waves that each puts out.

Thanks

point is that now I am confused 🙂

I listen to music ( jazz) in the small hours of the night, at very low volume

I cannot afford buying now also sub, and I still wanders which of all sonos collection (i.e. one,move or five) is most suitable foe quiet, low voume,late night listening, with best bass .

please help

I cannot afford buying now also sub, and I still wanders which of all sonos collection (i.e. one,move or five) is most suitable foe quiet, low voume,late night listening, with best bass .

I have not tried all the models you refer to, but I suspect that in quiet listening mode all will sound much like the others, with those equipped with better bass capability not able to really deliver it at low volumes. Even with their loudness control engaged.

Options you then have are non Sonos ones, where a Sub may come cheaper. Another option is using headphones.

If you are in a place where you can try and return the Sonos unit if you do not like it, that would be the way to get the best answer where the Sonos products are concerned.

Thank you.I will try to listen in a store .

now I stream music to an old  , tiny bose soundlink  ii mini , and its doing great sound AND bass wise  at low volumes.

I think I’ll have to choose bwtween sonos five,B&o lite17and Bose home 5 .

It seems that sonos five as best overall speaker;howeve re.the specific issue of lowvolume bass- I’m not sure yet.

Thank you again.

...Bose home 500….

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I use one of my Play 5s at very low volume levels and only a few feet from my ears. The low frequency response is very good with the standard settings. Good enough I am often asked to turn off the loudness compensation to not disturb the spouse, about 10 feet away on the other side of a 2x4 sheetrock wall.

Thank you Stanley_4👍🏻