Answered

ISP's and routers supporting HD music streaming?

• 29 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Changing my ISP to GigaBitNow. What bandwidth and router supports Hi Def streaming for platforms like Tidal, Apple Music on Sonos Beam Gen 2?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 29 April 2024, 02:01

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Pretty much anything better than really bad DSL, music requirements even high bit rates are pretty low.

A snip, much more detail at the link.

• 44.1kHz/16-bit: 44,100 x 16 x 2 = 1,411,200 bits per second (1.4Mbps)
  • 192kHz/24bit: 192,000 X 24 X 2 = 9,216,000 bits per second (9.2Mbps)

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/07/sample-rate-bit-depth-bit-rate/

Userlevel 7

Hi

It is and isn’t about the band width. Let me explain….

Your ISP is providing Gigabit Internet into your home which is 1024 MB’s or 1GB. That speed is maintained if a device is directly connected to your router via Ethernet cable. Once a gigabit signal is converted to a Wi-Fi (wireless) signal then the router determines if the throughput will remain as such.  

Most router manufacturers today will market their product as providing close to (and even exceeding) gigabit speeds wirelessly. That’s in a controlled environment that doesn’t take into account Wi-Fi interference from inside and outside your home. However, to your question any Wi-Fi 6 or 6e router should meet your needs. Wi-Fi 7 is overkill for most consumers and I dare say Wi-Fi 6e as well.

The Beam Gen 2 is capable of accepting the highest movie and music audio codecs available today. Music streaming services setup partnerships with Sonos to determine the highest audio codec that they will allow Sonos to stream via your subscription service.

For example here’s an excert taken from the TIDAL website…. Experience your music like never before on TIDAL. Get the best-in-class sound formats like full lossless, HiRes FLAC, and Dolby Atmos.

However, the partnership between SONOS and TIDAL only allows Sonos (via the app) to stream 16bit, 44.1 kHZ which is just full lossless (CD quality). See for yourself at the links.

TIDAL Link

SONOS Link

So in conclusion I suggest you purchase the best router your budget will handle; but don't break the bank 😊. Most retailers allow a 10-15 day return window. So after setup you can run some on-line speed tests that typically tell what you are capable of streaming via one and/or multiple devices at the same time.