Question

Is anyone happy with the new app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m seeing lots of posts with concerns about playlists, queues, alarms, sleep timers… 

For users doing really simple stuff like selecting stations to stream, room grouping, controlling volume etc, are these things working? I’m just curious - I’m sticking to S2 for now. 

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Curiosity killed the cat, or in Sonos case it kills your system.  Avoid update like the plague. 😝

Userlevel 3

The new App is a buggy mess.  I’m going to try and go back to S2.  Sonos should have done better beta testing and way better communication with users and subscribers . The new App is not ready for production.

Userlevel 7

For simple music streaming and grouping, the new app works. But it isn’t much of an improvement over the old app so you aren’t really missing out on anything. I would stick with the old app until they bring back a lot of the missing features.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Most of the “simple stuff” like searching my music library for a track, asking for it to be played next after what’s currently playing or adding it to a playlist for later are broken. More advanced stuff like grouping speakers into zones works well but what is the point if I can’t actually play what I want to listen to? Not everyone streams...

Maybe this link will help with what’s going on here. It at least gives some early timelines for some of the missing features mentioned…

https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/blog/sonos/sonos-new-app-launched

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Maybe this link will help with what’s going on here. It at least gives some early timelines for some of the missing features mentioned…

I don’t see any mention of Local Music Library search in the timeline which stretches out to July just to add back features that already existed in the old app!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Maybe this link will help with what’s going on here. It at least gives some early timelines

for some of the missing features mentioned…

It should be noted that this isn’t an official announcement from Sonos. I know they leak things all the time, so maybe this is accurate but hopefully Sonos will do us the courtesy of actually communicating this to us  directly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I don’t see any mention of Local Music Library search in the timeline which stretches out to July just to add back features that already existed in the old app!!

This feature is gone, with no indication that it will come back at all. The talking point from reps in the lead up to the app release was to: 1. Use Pex. 2. Use local search in the desktop app until they stop working near the end of the year.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I agree the new app is a total mess and should be pulled  back until it is complete 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Can’t update the EQ from the volume slider.  

Unable to adjust specific device volume when grouping.  

Two features I used constantly. Horrible!

Maybe this link will help with what’s going on here. It at least gives some early timelines

for some of the missing features mentioned…

It should be noted that this isn’t an official announcement from Sonos. I know they leak things all the time, so maybe this is accurate but hopefully Sonos will do us the courtesy of actually communicating this to us  directly.

Maybe this link instead…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-228995/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates-6892942?postid=16723302#post16723302

This feature is gone, with no indication that it will come back at all. The talking point from reps in the lead up to the app release was to: 1. Use Pex. 2. Use local search in the desktop app until they stop working near the end of the year.

See link in my post above this one, it includes library search. At least that’s how I read it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

See link in my post above this one, it includes library search. At least that’s how I read it.

Yes after Sonos leaked potential dates to the press they decided to post it to their own community. While I no longer trust Sonos to deliver on their promises I will remain hopeful that they do. I’ve figured out my own workarounds, wasting time and money due to their ineptitude. There’s dozens of issues and bugs with this dumpster fire hopefully they are able to stick to their timeline. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m seeing lots of posts with concerns about playlists, queues, alarms, sleep timers… 

For users doing really simple stuff like selecting stations to stream, room grouping, controlling volume etc, are these things working? I’m just curious - I’m sticking to S2 for now. 

I am that basic user, I have 5 speakers on my system, I just use it for music, streamed from my library on a nas drive and I have a spotify account, what could be more simple. But virtually none of it works, I cant even find my music library.

playlists gone and when I open the app I just get a load of greyed out squares.

I am soo angry because I have music on every day, now it’s very quiet.

My phone was set to not auto update, so why did it update?

Why is it so difficult for sonos to allow us to go back to S2 until they can sort out this pile of crap

Badge

I have over 20 Sonos speakers in two networks and I feel like a garbage truck just dumped a whole load on both networks.  Sonos, if you are listening, you should peel back and do a restart after the DOA launch of the “new and improved” app.  Guys, this one is a bomb.