Answered

In-Ceiling Speakers - No amp

• 23 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Does SONOS have in-ceiling speakers that connect wirelessly and can be paired?  Would be easier than trying to run cable from the ceiling location back to an amp over 40’ away.  This would need a local AC supply to keep it charged in the ceiling, but I can’t seem to find a product like this on the website.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 April 2024, 19:53

View original

5 replies

Unfortunately, no. 

Userlevel 1

Big untapped opportunity  - 6” in-ceiling wireless Sonos speakers next to 6” Hue LED Downlighsts would blend perfectly and the Sonos’ could be tap into existing constant 120v lighting power lines since the Hues dim wirelessly at the bulb level. 

I’d assume product managers at Sonos are watching the potential market fairly carefully, but as of yet, this untapped market hasn’t been enough to have them design a speaker, and set up a production line, both I would expect to be relatively expensive, alongside their current lines. Which means a minimum amount of sales to at least cover the costs. 

This is where smaller companies have an advantage. Tighter focus, less overhead means profitability in a smaller market. 

Seems the technology exists.  Maybe I’m thinking too simplistic, but take a current in-ceiling speaker and bolt on the wireless capability plus the hard wired option mentioned by @mclark.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Really pretty easy to stick an Amp above the ceiling, many unobtrusive access panels.

Long term that would likely be less aggravation as the Amp would be easy to access if needed while the speakers would both have to be dismounted or at least the covers removed if the controls are available from the front.