How many Sonos Outdoor speakers for my backyard

• 26 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Hey there! I’ve been doing some and decided on getting Sonos Outdoor speakers + Sonos amps for my backyard because I love Sonos and i’ve read that these speakers w/ Trueplay sound great. What’s been very challenging is trying to figure out how many speakers I need to get based on my backyard space. Here’s what I’m thinking so far:

Amp #1

• 3 speakers in the BBQ area
  • 3 speakers in the covered patio area. 

Amp #2

• 3 speakers on left side of the pool
  • 3 speakers on right side of pool

Does this seem appropriate for the space? Also wondering I’m wondering if it’s best to set these up as left/right channels or mono?

8 replies

Userlevel 7

For the size and space, this speaker setup should be sufficient.

Because of the speaker layout, I would set each Amp to Dual Mono rather than Stereo.

FYI… the Sonos Architectural Outdoor Speakers cannot be tuned with Trueplay. But the speakers are optimized to be used with a Sonos Amp. Just be sure to use the “Detect Sonos Architectural” feature in the Sonos app. The sound quality difference is night and day.

Thanks for the reply! Thanks for confirming.

But the speakers are optimized to be used with a Sonos Amp. Just be sure to use the “Detect Sonos Architectural” feature in the Sonos app. The sound quality difference is night and day

Oh sorry, yes that’s what I meant by Trueplay being supported for these speakers. Many ppl online have mentioned how drastic the difference is with that “Detect Sonos Architectural” setting enabled. 

Do you think I’ll need to get a sub for each amp or is the bass that comes from these speakers enough. Also don’t know if a sub is even supported if I have 6 speakers hooked up an amp.

SUB should not be directly exposed to weather.

You may have some wireless range issues if you attempt to use the SUB’S wirelessly.

Depending on your bass requirements, you may want to employ a second SUB in the pool area. Wire for this possibility in advance.

Thanks Buzz! Are there any restrictions for how big a sub the amp can handle with 6 of the Sonos outdoor speakers already hooked up?  For example this sub maxes at 114 watts (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6341797.p?skuId=6341797) and this one maxes at 300 watts (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6253960.p?skuId=6253960). I don’t want to assume these would be compatible subs. 

Userlevel 7

I have a pair of Sonos Architectural speakers in my backyard and I think the bass output from the speakers alone is sufficient. So I would test the speakers first before you decide to add a subwoofer.

@serge2000;

“SUB” is a SONOS product that connects wirelessly to AMP or is wired to the network. SUB contains its own amplifiers. If you use a 3rd party subwoofer, it must provide its own amplifier and be wired to AMP’s subwoofer output. Multiple 3rd party subwoofers could be used if wired correctly.

Note that a wireless SUB must be relatively close to AMP. This is why I recommended running a network cable to SUB.

Got it! Thanks for the recommendations guys. I’ll hold off on getting sub(s) for now but route cables just in case.