Question

How do I TruePlay in a large room

• 6 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have a Family room open to a dining room and kitchen.   The only place where people will view the TV is the Family room (see picture).   When I walk around with the Trueplay setup, should I skip the dining room and just concentrate on the main listening area?   I have no nearby wall to bounce off of to the left.   

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Start around the couch -- you’ll need to sit there anyhow for the first, balance, phase of Trueplay -- then circle the main area slowly. Get back to the couch with say 30-35% of the time left and wave the iDevice around at about ear height along the couch. 

Trueplay EQ is biased by how long the iDevice spends in different locations, but on the other hand if you don’t wave the iDevice about enough TP will abort with a complaint that you’re not moving sufficiently. Strike a balance and you’ll be fine. 

Why not try both, and see what suits your preferences?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Last time I tuned the room, I was walking around the dining room (it takes a good portion of the Trueplay available time) and wondering why I was doing that since there will be zero ears there listening.   

So I am going to just concentrate on the three walls that are close by and just maybe a short wave at the left dining room space and then spend time at the couch listening areas.  

My concern is how Trueplay treats a room with an extended space to the left and otherwise a good room with close walls and a flat ceiling.  I’m guessing the surround won’t work.   

I’d agree with your supposition, but I’m not sure, which is why it seems much easier to try it both ways, and see which result you prefer in your ‘normal’ use. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The right side of the Arc is about 4 ft from the right wall and 22 feet from the left wall.   I am going to try this first…...when I tune with TruePlay I am deemphasizing the left wall and emphasizing the listening area - walking like the red arrows.    Previously I walked about 3 ft from the perimeter walls (it took a lot of time to walk the left side 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Also interested in this, as I have an ‘L’ shaped room. When I did the trueplay setup on the Arc, I only walked the ‘section’ or ‘zone’ of the room (as above) that I would be using the Arc in, not the whole room.

I had assumed the first part of trueplay when you place the iPhone in the seating position is for the ‘Home Theater’ mode, and the second part when you walk and wave is for the ‘music’ part.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I tried as in the red arrows and it sounds great!