Skip to main content

Hello,

Currently doing electrical remodel for a customer and dabbling into speakers as i have installed sonos amps and speakers for customer but this remodel has me hesistant. As this customer wants to use existing speaker throughout house. The house has over 22 speakers which each room has a a wall volume control as two speakers in each room will run to volume control then ran to media center in living room(speaker wire 16/4 and ethernet). I want to split house into 6 zones, listed below. Basically asking could i just have the wire ran from volume control wired straight into the amp or would i have too disconnect volume control(outdated i believe) and run new wires from each speaker to new amp?

Trying to avoid running new wires to existing speakers, but am fine doing so if needed. Just confused if I’m over thinking and the volume control is just something that can coexist and use the speaker wire/ethernet ran back to the media center.

Living room(4 speakers)

Kitchen/Dining(4 Speakers)

Bed 1 (2 Speakers)

Bed 2/office (4 Speakers)

Master Bed/Bath (4 Speakers)

Garage/Back Patio (4 Speakers)

In the rooms with four speakers keep the Volume controls. This will allow you to balance the audio to accommodate the room layout.

But asking can I run the wire from volume control straight to the Sonos amp and it will work? 

Yes. Make sure that the amplifier loading is 4-Ohms or more and that the control (-) terminals are isolated from each other.