Skip to main content
Question

Digital Keys needed to overide AirPlay

• 21 July 2024
  • 6 replies

I have to insert an 8 digit code to override the airplay error from my iPhone.  I have found multiple different subjects like serial number, Pin, model.  None of them are 8 digits. Some are longer and some are shorter.  I assume there is a trick to complete this task.  I have no idea as to which one of the subjects I need to use and how do I arrange 8 digits?  For instance, my PIN number is 7 digits with dashes in between some of the numbers.  There has got to be a reasonable answer.  It took me 3 hours to find all these numbers.  I hope one of them is usable with some modifications?

6 replies

I suspect this is an issue with Apple, not with Sonos. Once connected to your Sonos system, Sonos requires no pin to connect. My understanding is some Apple profiles require pins to connect through AirPlay 2, but this is a setting in the Apple OS, and has nothing to do with Sonos’ reception of the AirPlay 2 signal. 

Badge

I only wish you were correct.  The new Sonos app gives you two choices regarding to shutting off Air Play.  The first one is shut it off.  I did that but it appears that it’s still on.  I could delete the Air Play app.  I don’t use it nor do I think I ever will; however, I need a blessing from Apple which I might consider if I can’t figure out the second option.  The second option is I find the 8 digital characters that will authenticate the iPhone.  They warn you that on the Beam, it’s difficult to find.  And it was!  But, I found the area where all the important numbers are stamped on the product.  You need patience to find it and you need a strong flashlight.  I was about to throw the beast out the window when suddenly, with patience, my flashlight lit up the characters. I ilit up many different pieces of information like the Serial Number, Pin Code, Model Number and etc.  I wasn’t sure which one to select.  Most of the discussion leans toward Pin Code; however, the pin code in my Beam has only 7 characters plus some dashes. I remember reading somewhere that there is a way to select the unlock code with less digits.  I will try to find that.  In the meantime, I hope to have an epiphiny and a good dream where this process is revealed to me.

I spent at least 3 hours with Sonos tech. (MOSTOF THE TIME I WAS ON-HOLD) They all got me to the same point which It’s ME finding the code and entering it on my iPhone.  

i appreciate your input and will resort to the Apple hold time if I can’t make this work.  Be aware that the new application can get complicated.  Not complicated, lots of is patience and time.

Thank you so much\

Badge +20

The Airplay 8 digits is the pairing code in the format xxx-xx-xxx Sonos does not have this Airplay code on their hardware. 

You or someone in your household has inadvertently added a PIN code when adding / fiddling around with Apple HomeKit (the orange Home logo). Remove your Sonos device from Apple Home and then factory reset the Sonos device(s).

BUT… you will loose all settings if you only have one Sonos device and then setup from scratch bearing in mind how operational the Sonos App currently is but may be a bit better in 24 hours.

AND

If you add them back into Apple Home make sure you do not add a pin. I did have a screen shot but unfortunately no longer have it otherwise would have added it here.

EDIT Do try a bunch of zeros 

Badge

Thank you for your advice.  I can assure you that I have not added anything to Apple HomeKit.  I have no idea what it is.  Thanks for telling me that Sonos does no post the pairing number.  I will absolutely ask for  the support team for that number.  I have read support tickets that insist the number is there, It isn’t.  One more shot at this tomorrow,  Next is getting Apple support.  The phone is only 4 months old.  I hope they can help.

Badge

Challenge finished.  Sonos does have an 8 digit pin which activates the Bluetooth on the Beam.  The only trouble is finding it.  It’s grouped together with a bunch of other numbers.  Once I found it, the rest is easy.  It joined my iPhone in 2 minutes and now I’m faced with another installation.  The Sonos sub woofer.  Actually, now that I”m through the sound bar,installation, this looks pretty easy.  . So many of the videos and instructional write ups first tout the ‘boost’ or using cable.  Others, first endorse it and then say that it isn’t necessary.  I will find out myself.  I have very strong Internet in the house and see no need for it!

Badge +20

Bluetooth!

- you asked about Airplay  🙄