Answered

Can SONOS S2 Play DLNA / UPnP Collection

• 18 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have a SONOS Play: 1 and primarily use it to play my local music collection over DLNA / UPnP i.e. ‘Show Media Servers’ & ‘Show UPnP Servers’ then I can just browse my personal collection.

If I upgrade to ‘S2’ will I still be able to do this?

Thanks,

icon

Best answer by Mark P 24 July 2020, 17:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @f3isar.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

It should still work with S2 application.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this if you have any issues.

Some of the community members also might provide their own opinion about this.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks for the reply Mark, I can confirm that it works great with the S2 application : )

(But it would be even better if I could play an entire album without having to add each individual song to the play queue.)

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @f3isar.

Welcome, thank you for getting back to Sonos Community.

Glad that works.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Sonos makes no claims to be DLNA compliant.  If it mostly works, fine, but it is not a supported use and I don't think Sonos will devote a single dollar of development cash to making it work better.

@John B I’m curious as to what makes you respond with such a negative comment?

Sonos have clearly spent time and money implementing DLNA support, what makes you so sure they’ll invest no more?

I think the point that he’s trying to make is that Sonos has not in fact invested any time into making Sonos DLNA compliant at all, that it is just a simple effect of other things that create a semblance of actual connection. but given the length of time JohnB has been a customer, and certainly over the 10 years I have, there has never been any suggestion from Sonos that they either do, or intend to support DLNA. So, given that they’ve invested no time to this point, it’s a good bet that they’re going to continue the trend.

My perception is that it wasn’t a negative comment at all, more a statement of fact, as he sees it….and I whole heartedly I agree with him.