Automatically equalize volume across multiple wireless speakers

• 18 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Here’s a wild idea : I have three wireless Sonos speakers, one in the office where I’m at, one in an adjoining bedroom and a third in an adjoining bathroom.

I’m in the office - I’d like to flip a switch on my Sonos app and using my phone’s microphone make a rough approximation to balance the volume across those three speakers.

Now if you want to get really crazy, I’d like to have the volume continue to adjust regardless of where I take my phone until I turn it off.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

How? Are you presuming your phone is always present and able to ‘hear’ the volume of your speakers? What happens when you go to the store, and leave the speakers playing for your significant other?

It’s an interesting idea, but I can see a few challenges. 

Userlevel 1

it would have to be a manual reset each time

Why would you want to hear the sound from three different rooms at the same level? Each would present a mono signal. Moreover they would be slightly out of sync at the listener, owing to the fact that sound takes about 1 ms to travel 1 foot. Not to mention the effect of reflections en route from the distant speakers.

An altogether muddy and unpleasant listening experience one would have thought.