3.1 setup ?

• 17 December 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Seeking a kind soul that can help me answer a question that I have, I have 2 fives with a sub and I am very tempted to buy a beam and take the sub from the fives and create a 3.1 system for movies and use the fives for music only, 

Question is, is the beam and sub good enough? Will I get enough bass from the beam or need I go full 5.1 ? I'm not looking for a punch in the chest like u can get from the fives with sub, but I really want to hear those low frequencies and maybe some vibrations as well, answers are very much appreciated thank you 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The Beam with the Sub is great and you won’t regret the investment IMHO. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Daniel88.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share some recommendations to help out.

is the beam and sub good enough? Yes, having the Sub bonded to the Sonos Beam for a 3.1 home theater setup. The personal satisfaction of the set up would still depend on the listener/user as some may find the Beam sufficient enough for home theater while others would still prefer bonding a Sub to get that additional sensation of the bass and kick you get out of the Sub.

Will I get enough bass from the beam or need I go full 5.1 ? The Sonos products that are bonded as surrounds would only generate surround sound audio. The options of having a 3.1, 3.0, or 5.1 home theater set up would still have the 5.1 surround sound set up as the winner as the surround sound audio could only be heard over a 5.1 home theater set up. However, if the criteria lies specifically on the Bass with surrounds out of the question, 3.1 would still dominate the 3.0 set up due to the extra bass that the Sub can contribute.

I'm not looking for a punch in the chest like u can get from the fives with sub, but I really want to hear those low frequencies and maybe some vibrations as well. Then 3.1 set up it is. 

I hope this helps.

We can also reach out to other members of the community for their recommendations and feedback based on their personal experience with the setup.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic if you have additional questions or concerns. Here in the community, everyone can help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @Daniel88.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share some recommendations to help out.

is the beam and sub good enough? Yes, having the Sub bonded to the Sonos Beam for a 3.1 home theater setup. The personal satisfaction of the set up would still depend on the listener/user as some may find the Beam sufficient enough for home theater while others would still prefer bonding a Sub to get that additional sensation of the bass and kick you get out of the Sub.

Will I get enough bass from the beam or need I go full 5.1 ? The Sonos products that are bonded as surrounds would only generate surround sound audio. The options of having a 3.1, 3.0, or 5.1 home theater set up would still have the 5.1 surround sound set up as the winner as the surround sound audio could only be heard over a 5.1 home theater set up. However, if the criteria lies specifically on the Bass with surrounds out of the question, 3.1 would still dominate the 3.0 set up due to the extra bass that the Sub can contribute.

I'm not looking for a punch in the chest like u can get from the fives with sub, but I really want to hear those low frequencies and maybe some vibrations as well. Then 3.1 set up it is. 

I hope this helps.

We can also reach out to other members of the community for their recommendations and feedback based on their personal experience with the setup.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic if you have additional questions or concerns. Here in the community, everyone can help.

Thanks,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry if I'm dumb but that's a yes that the sub will give me good bass with just the beam ? 😀

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Daniel88.

Thanks for your immediate response.

It’s a yes which is also what @UKMedia’s response is.

Thanks,

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks man

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Does Sonos offer money-back trials where you live? If so, try it and see if you like it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Does Sonos offer money-back trials where you live? If so, try it and see if you like it. 

I'm confident in the sound that the  beam produces I know a few people who has it, but never heard it with the sub, but I guess I can't go wrong :) and yes I have 50 days trial, I've seen many reviews that the sub is great with the ones and I have the fives and I believe the beam sounds maybe a little better than the ones ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I'm confident in the sound that the  beam produces I know a few people who has it, but never heard it with the sub, but I guess I can't go wrong :) and yes I have 50 days trial, I've seen many reviews that the sub is great with the ones and I have the fives and I believe the beam sounds maybe a little better than the ones ?

I have the Beam, Sub and two One’s and it’s only beaten by my Arc, Sub and two One’s. :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Do u know how it sounds without the ones? Beam + sub ? 

I have the Beam, Sub and two One’s and it’s only beaten by my Arc, Sub and two One’s. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No, I've always added the sub last. Although, the improvement in the base on adding the sub is really noticeable.