Introducing the New Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

196 replies

In the UK Simply Sound and Vision are shipping on the 23rd for next day delivery.

John Lewis will let you order from 00:00 on the 24th with stock in store on the 24th.

So should be available elsewhere in the UK on the 24th.
Does the new Sonos One have a line-in jack?

No, missed opportunity in my opinion.
You're probably causing trouble for that vendor, as I suspect they signed some contract saying they wouldn't sell them before the release date.
How much does the sonos one energy consumption? is it the same watt as play1?

Microphones on: 3.8W (US), 4.1W (EU)
Microphones off: 2.9W (US), 3.2W (EU)
Userlevel 1
How much does the sonos one energy consumption? is it the same watt as play1?

Microphones on: 3.8W (US), 4.1W (EU)
Microphones off: 2.9W (US), 3.2W (EU)

How come new play 5 is more energy efficient than the new play one :)
it looks like this, then :

| US | EU
PLAY:1 | 3.4 Watts | 3.8 Watts
PLAY ONE | 2.9/3.8 Watts | 3.2/4.1 Watts
PLAY:3 | 4.1 Watts | 4.4 Watts
PLAY:5 (gen1) | 6.9 Watts | 8.0 Watts
PLAY:5 (gen2) | 2.1 Watts | 2.2 Watts
PLAYBAR | up to 5.8 Watts | up to 6.1 Watts
PLAYBASE | 2.8 Watts | 3.0 Watts
CONNECT | 5.0 Watts | 5.6 Watts
CONNECT:AMP | 6.2 Watts | 6.4 Watts
SUB | 3.6 Watts | 3.8 Watts
BRIDGE | 3.9 Watts | 4.2 Watts
BOOST | 2.2 Watts | 2.3 Watts
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This may have been covered but:
1.) Will the Sonos One perform like a Echo Dot in that if I ask a non Sonos question like, "Alexa, what's the weather", will it respond on the Sonos One?
2.) If I ask the Sonos One, "Alexa, what's the weather", will it respond on all grouped speakers or only the Sonos One that picked up my voice?

The Sonos One will respond, and only the Sonos One that heard you best (if you're using a stereo pair). Most of the Dot functions will work on the Sonos One, but a few, like the "drop in" feature, won't.
Since the Sonos One hasn't been released (and apparently some people have received it, but the software won't install it yet), we're not sure. But to be honest, I'd be extremely surprised if the "alexa" voice were to be spread across all associated (grouped or not) devices.

But since you've preordered one, perhaps you'll be kind enough to come back when you get it installed, and let us know?
When will this be released with currys,amazon and other retailers as i have some gift vouchers i would like to use. Hi i recieved my Sonos One yesterday from Currys in Uk . They also sent me an email with the following..."it will only become operational on its release date of 24th October 2017. You do not need to do anything on the release date as this will be done automatically via a software update from Sonos.".
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My Sonos One is arriving Monday October 23rd. Will I be able to set it up on the 23rd, or will I have to wait until the 24th? If so, is that Midnight (ET) on the 24th or some other time?

When exactly will setup of Sonos One work?

Sonos version 8.1 is launching today, it should be available already. That is the software for the Sonos One. Just update to 8.1 and when you get your Sonos One you'll be able to set it up and be good to go.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
So, CNET says the Sonos One sounds even better than the Play:1. I am very impressed. For the price and the size, the Play:1 is very, very good. I may have to get a couple of Sonos Ones. I just wish they would support the Echo calling feature.
My Sonos One is arriving Monday October 23rd. Will I be able to set it up on the 23rd, or will I have to wait until the 24th? If so, is that Midnight (ET) on the 24th or some other time?

When exactly will setup of Sonos One work?

I have mine now and it sounds great. Better than a Play 1. A little clearer, richer, and more bass. I got Pandora and Apple Music to connect but can't get Alexa to connect. It times out on the Amazon page.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Mine has arrived. Delighted with it. Very stylish looking, great sound

I understand the LED situation. I turned off the Status light so we will see how it is tonight. Is there a feature parity list between the Echo and Sonos One somewhere to see what features the One does not support? I'm wondering around the calling features.

Perhaps a tiny bit of electrical tape? :)

I've got my ONE up and running. I'm pleased overall.

Currently my only real disappointment is the lack the ONE's ability to in any way change the different speaker groups. This is a very very common task in the Sonos experience for me at least - hoping this is coming sooner than later. Support for Deezer would be very much appreciated at well.

Looking forward to the upcoming Google support - I'd likely prefer it, but Alexa does the trick for now.
For a pair of Sonos Ones should both microphones be active? It seems different ones answer.

I’m finding Pandora use with Alexa is buggy. It says it will play a station then nothing happens.
Even a reboot doesn’t fix it but it plays from the Sonos app. Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I setup our vacation house to be the same as main house. Nice to be able to drop in on vacation home from main house (especially with Echo Shows at both locations).
Once Airplay 2 is on the Sonos One you will be able to go directly from the Apple Music app to the speaker.
How do they deal with mics in their phones, I wonder...
Don't we all :D
On another note I see the Sonos One is already getting a discount for Black Friday!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hi Sonos reps,

The past month I have seen two posts on Reddit/Sonos from a user claiming a gen 2 of the Sonos One is on its way/has arrived stating various details such as 4 instead of 6 microphones. Moreover, it stated that ‘gen 1’ will have two of its mics disabled (I guess so that updates can come simultaneously). All if this would be a ‘soft launch’ and the info supposedly came from Sonos reps in Australia, but the posts got deleted a few hours later.

Can you confurm this relaunch? Any chance of this Sonos One gen 2 being the S18 of the latest FCC filings?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi flyingpadrejr, I don't have any news or details to share around any of our plans for the future that haven't officially been announced already. Stay tuned, as soon as there's word on a new product or otherwise that we can share, we like to post here to let everyone know.
Badge
Hi Ryan

I was wondering in terms of sound quality if there is much difference between the old and the new? My play 1's literally arrived today so am considering sending them back if the sound quality is better. I am not too interested too much in the voice control
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan are there technical differences that would drive that decision? It's surprising to me that it's not currently planned for.
There are some big reasons for this, it's not on the scale that the PLAY:5 gen1 vs gen2, but definitely some differences. Besides.... they'd look funny side by side 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
I wanted to be excited about this but I'm not. Alexa isn't very good at speech recognition, not that Siri is much better, but Alexa is really limited in what it can do. I certainly don't trust Amazon with my personal information.

Its not worth an upgrade so I'll leave it at that. Still waiting for Airplay and Homekit support, but I'm sensing that Sonos doesn't want to go down that path and its time to start re-considering my wireless speaker choices. Time will tell.
Will the Play 5 have voice responsiveness in the future? I was planning on purchasing one in November but I'm wondering if I should hold off.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Still waiting for Airplay and Homekit support, but I'm sensing that Sonos doesn't want to go down that path and its time to start re-considering my wireless speaker choices. Time will tell.

Airplay 2 support was announced this morning... Coming 2018.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16418944/sonos-airplay-2-support-apple-ios-siri-2018