Exciting Partnerships in the Queue

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Community Manager
  • 9396 replies
We have a lot of exciting plans for the future and we wanted to share some of them with you all. First, check out Patrick Spence's post on the Sonic Internet here: http://blog.sonos.com/en/welcome-sonic-internet/
In addition to our Sonos One, coming October 24th, and support for Alexa through Alexa devices, we’ve been hard at work on some great new partnerships as well.

We’re excited to announce that Sonos is bringing Airplay 2 to our platform, available next spring. You will be able to play from devices in your Apple ecosystem – including content from YouTube and Netflix - now on your Sonos players. You will also have the ability to talk to Siri-enabled devices (iPhone, iPad, AppleTV) to play music on your Sonos speakers. We’re not sharing all the details around this integration yet as there’s still work to be done, but we hope you’re excited too. We’ll share more soon, so watch this space.

The Sonos Developer Platform is also coming in 2018. We will be officially opening a developer platform, and deliver APIs to any developer who wants to integrate with Sonos. We'll also be rolling out a certification program so the highest quality experiences will have the ability to earn the “Works with Sonos” badge. You’ll start seeing some exciting home automation options out there with our official badge, marking them as partners and certifying their API integration.

We know you’ve loved using your Spotify App to control Sonos and we’ve been working to bring that experience to more services. Starting in the coming months, we’ll be adding the ability to control Sonos directly from additional music service apps, including Tidal, Pandora, Audible and iHeart Radio.

We hope you're as excited as we are.

51 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
This is a surprising update that I hope people don't miss. It's great to see you've got some big items coming, especially support for long-suffering Audible fans.

We’re excited to announce that Sonos is bringing Airplay 2 to our platform, available next spring

I hope you know that I will demand to know the reason for the delay when this isn't ready on March 19th.
:P
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Skelton wrote:

I hope you know that I will demand to know the reason for the delay when this isn't ready on March 19th.
:P

*All times may be subject to change.
:)
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
nice work Sonos !
Will Airplay 2 come to existing speakers and the Connect and Connect Amp or just new speakers released from now on?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
jjlsetter wrote:

Will Airplay 2 come to existing speakers and the Connect and Connect Amp or just new speakers released from now on?

Airplay 2 will be available on newer players to target. We'll share more as development progresses. You should be able to pick a room that has the needed hardware and it'll play to others grouped to it, including older units that might not have the chip. Stay tuned, more to come in the future.
Ryan S wrote:

jjlsetter wrote:

Airplay 2 will be available on newer players to target. We'll share more as development progresses. You should be able to pick a room that has the needed hardware and it'll play to others grouped to it, including older units that might not have the chip. Stay tuned, more to come in the future.

Ok, so then I'm assuming if all I have is a current Play:1 and Connect, then I won't be getting AirPlay 2 support unless I add new hardware.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
jjlsetter wrote:

Ok, so then I'm assuming if all I have is a current Play:1 and Connect, then I won't be getting AirPlay 2 support unless I add new hardware.

That's correct. But you could add a Sonos One to that, and you'd have not just an Airplay 2 available speaker, but you'd also have one that's voice-enabled.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
THANK YOU for this update. This summer many were worried that Sonos was packing it in to it's competitors (or worse: hoping for a takeover) but this indicates that Sonos is hard at work on innovation and listening to its customers.

SO excited for AirPlay 2, even if it means I have to add a ONE to my setup.

The only thing left will be DTS support but after today's announcement I know anything is possible.
So this spring I should be able to AirPlay to my Sonos Playbase? If I add two Play:1’s configured for surround sound, then AirPlaying music to the Playbase will also play the same music on the Play:1’s?
I'd be hesitant to hold them to the "spring" date, given the nature of software development, but yes, the rest of your statement would be accurate.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Any chance of Deezer integration as well, or have I missed mention of it elsewhere? It must surely be almost as popular as Spotify....
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
User298079 wrote:

Any chance of Deezer integration as well, or have I missed mention of it elsewhere? It must surely be almost as popular as Spotify....

We don't have any specific announcements right now around Deezer.
Ishmael19 wrote:

So this spring I should be able to AirPlay to my Sonos Playbase? If I add two Play:1’s configured for surround sound, then AirPlaying music to the Playbase will also play the same music on the Play:1’s?

We're not sharing all the details around Airplay 2 just yet. It's all a work in progress as development goes on, so I don't want to promise too much and have things change. For now, that's a safe assumption. We'll be sharing more as things develop.
Interesting that AirPlay 2 support is announced, but no Chromecast, which would do for Android users what AirPlay 2 does for the Apple fans. I'm pretty sure Google is FAR more open than Apple (lol), so it just seems odd that it isn't on the radar.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
User298079 wrote:

Not really. Spotify has roughly 10x the number of subs as Deezer.

chicks wrote:

Interesting that AirPlay 2 support is announced, but no Chromecast, which would do for Android users what AirPlay 2 does for the Apple fans. I'm pretty sure Google is FAR more open than Apple (lol), so it just seems odd that it isn't on the radar.

I'm not particularly well versed in the Google assistant, but perhaps the assumption is that it will bring the same functionality to bear?
My understanding is that AirPlay 2 does not require a dedicated hardware chip. Is there some other reason why it seems like it will only work with my Play:5 as stated here ??? I have a playbar, sub, 2 play:1 speakers in my living room, a play:1 in my kitchen, and play:5 in my bedroom.
I'd be interested in that as well, but I don't suspect that we'll get an answer, since they tend not to comment on the design of the electronics. I've never seen them do so. And who knows, in this case, it might be covered by an NDA they have with Apple, not to discuss any specifics around the transmission/reception of Airplay 2.
Badge
Hi. I love the idea that if I have Sonos Ones, I could interact with either Alexa or Google Assistant (once this capability is delivered . Would this be an 'either / or' - dare I hope - an 'and' ? Could I say 'Hey Google' as well as 'Alexa' to my Sonos One and both would be listening ? I could live with the voice assistant being defined in the settings, but being multi-platform would make the Sonos One really unique
Badge
And I get 'not found' from the link above - Patrick Spence's post on the Sonic Internet here: http://blog.sonos.com/en/welcome-sonic-internet/
It would be a most interesting challenge to have two active assistants at one time, I'd think. Which one would you send the data to for interpretation? I guess perhaps the wake word could be the key? That would be a fascinating discussion to be in with the coders, to figure out the feasibility.
Badge
I understand this is still early on, but I'm about to replace the speakers in the whole house so I'd like to not buy the wrong hardware.

I am mostly interested in airplay 2 (2018 Sonos update). According to what we currently know:
- What Sonos devices do we know will NOT work with Airplay 2? (I'm guessing Play:1 and Play:3 ? )
- What Sonos devices do we know WILL work with Airplay 2? (I'm guessing Play:5 gen2 and Sonos ONE ? )

thank you!
I think you misunderstand the nature of the Sonos ecosystem. Basically, once you have one device that will support an Airplay 2 signal, then all of the speakers, old or new, will support playing that stream. If you're familiar, it's like the Line-In function on the PLAY:5 or CONNECT devices. Once the data is in the Sonos ecosystem, it can be played everywhere.

To be honest, it's been a while since I've seen anything specific on which speakers will be acceptable as "receivers" for Airplay 2, but I'm sure that the Sonos One will be. I *think* the PLAY:5 gen 2 will be as well, but I may be misremembering that.

At the end of the day, as long as you have one Airplay 2 enabled speaker in your system, you should be able to play that signal being sent to it on any speaker.
Badge
Airgetlam wrote:

Basically, once you have one device that will support an Airplay 2 signal, then all of the speakers, old or new, will support playing that stream..

Thank you for the clarification! I think I understand better now how Sonos work.
Should I expect some limitations to zones/groups?

Say I have 1 Sonos Airplay2 speaker associated to group1:
- Could I play an airplay2 stream to group2 but have group1 silent?
- Could I play an airplay2 stream to group2 but have group1 play something else?
- Could I play an airplay2 stream to group2 but have group1 play another airplay2 stream?
You're most welcome.

Fair warning, I'm not a Sonos employee, nor am I privy to information that you don't have, so take all of my thoughts with a grain of salt. That being said, I can only think of Airplay 2 as another line-in to the system. So, if it does in fact act in that manner, then the answer to your questions are:

1) yes
2) yes
3) I don't know, but I'd think no. Having one input device handle more than one stream seems unlikely. I'd expect, just like with the Line-in system, you'd need a second input device to handle the data for a second Airplay stream.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
We're still working on Airplay2 development with Sonos, so most of those questions don't quite have answers yet. While those are good guesses on functionality, we're not at the point where I can confirm how accurate they'll be when the implementation is done. You'll have to stay tuned to know for sure.
Thank you for this update. I have been holding off buying a Sonos One because I am more interested in Airplay than using Alexa. However this gives me hope that it will allow me to use Airplay 2 when it is released.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)