Answered

Working with other Google homes

• 27 August 2018
  • 3 replies

Hey guys

I'm looking at getting a couple of Sonos ones and a playbar.

I currently have 2x Google homes in 2 different rooms. I plan on putting the play ones into different separate rooms also. I plan on keeping Google homes around until Sonos can take over with Google support.

My question is, we often say to the Google home "hey Google, play blah blah on all devices". Then it will pay music on both Google homes in sync around the house.

Will it also play on the play ones also? If so, would it Play on the playbar also?

I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere so hopefully someone in a similar position can help

Thanks alot

Andy
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 27 August 2018, 22:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Nobody knows the details on the Google Assistant implementation. I will say that syncing playback with mixed Sonos and Echo devices is not possible at this time with Alexa.
There haven't been any specifics announced on what features will be available with Google Home integration. However, if it works the way Alexa integration does, you would not be able to play your Sonos and Google Home devices in sync like that. I would not count on that feature for Google either, since multiroom syncing methods are generally done through company specific patented methods...certainly the case for Sonos.

I would expect that you will be able to group the 2 or more sonos speakers through the Sonos app, then you can request to play music on one of those speakers and it will play on the whole group. That's what you can do through Alexa. I am hopeful that you can specify a named group of Sonos speakers with Google, but again, nothing announced yet.
Thanks melvimbe much appreciated.