Question

Wake on LAN pc from Alexa Sonos Beam

• 21 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I try to wake on lan my pc from my sonos beam. Its seem to be a sonos beam firmware issue.

What I did:

1. flashing a custom firmware to my router r7000 with build in WOL http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/
  1. Activate bios and network card to accept the magic packet
  2. testing WOL from the build in WOL feature of my router (WORK)
  3. testing WOL from an iphone app (WORK)
  4. register my pc mac adress to wolskill.com
  5. installing wolskill  to alexa (linked sucessfull)
  6. discover my pc from alexa (Work)
  7. asking alexa to open my pc (she say okay but nothing happen)
  8. verified mac adresse from wolskill (perfect)
  9. disable firmwall from router
  10.  asking alexa to open my pc (she say okay but nothing happen)
  11. search the internet see this: https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/device-apis/alexa-wakeonlancontroller.html

Sonos problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sonos units don’t support the full range of skills, and in this case you’d be asking the Beam to perform a very low-level network interaction to send a WOL frame. It’s hardly surprising it doesn’t work. 

Sonos units don’t support the full range of skills, and in this case you’d be asking the Beam to perform a very low-level network interaction to send a WOL frame. It’s hardly surprising it doesn’t work. 

Do you know how i can sonos to do something about it

They could register it as a request, but frankly I don’t see them regarding it as important at all.

People who use a conventional NAS box can typically have it come out of standby on receipt of an SMB file request from a Sonos player. 

If you’re intent on using your PC to store the files and want to wake it via WOL then I suggest you either use a suitable phone app or maybe get an Echo Dot.