Question

Voice Control Australia

• 24 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Does anyone know when the above will be available to Australian users?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I second that.

* The Alexa app is available in Australia as of today.
* Echo devices are now on sale in Australia as of today

The voice control I've had on my Sonos One, more or less since I bought it, was nuked a couple of weeks ago. Now, only very basic Alexa skills work. My Sonos One is now effectively a brick and, on the basis that it won't be patched in line with Alexa, it's a massive risk having it as part of my smart home.
Good grief. It's not "a brick" when it plays perfectly well using the Sonos app. Stop with the melodrama.

Sonos has stated that Alexa support will be released sometime in the Australian Fall, which is March to May. Be patient.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In what way was voice control you had on the Sonos One "Nuked". How did you have voice control before if only came today to Australia.
In what way was voice control you had on the Sonos One "Nuked". How did you have voice control before if only came today to Australia. I had full voice control, I could tell it to play music and it would go to Spotify, I could tell it to turn on tv and, via the logitech harmony skill, it would. There were a few obscure Alexa skills not working but otherwise It was a fantastic preview of what it would be like when we got full voice control here in Australia. What Sonos said it could do, and what it could do were two different things. It was possible to make it work.

Now I don't have any aspect of voice control other than a couple of basic Alexa skills like what is the time, and what is the weather forecast. All the smart home skills were disabled.

Good grief. It's not "a brick" when it plays perfectly well using the Sonos app I didn't buy it so that I could end up with another Play1. Got plenty of those. This sits in the lounge where I have a full Sonos surround speaker setup which cannot be grouped with the Sonos One.

Sonos has stated that Alexa support will be released sometime in the Australian Fall, which is March to May. Be patient. My point is that full Alexa control and devices is now available in Australia so what's the hold-up? If Sonos didn't know this date then how closely are they really working with Amazon. If they did know the release date why are they so far behind? And, as I stated above, if they are going to be so far out of sync with Alexa changes and patches then what happens the next time?