Using Alexa on Sonos to access BBC Sounds & Amazon Music - streaming interuptions (Unable to play song ‘song’ - the song is not encoded correctly. )

• 25 June 2023
  • 6 replies

When using Sonos Alexa to stream BBC radio via BBC Sounds, or music from Amazon Music, I experience frequent (every minute or two) frustrating interruptions of a few seconds in the play back which just go on and on until I get fed-up and I stop trying to listen. If I monitor the playback on the Sonos app whenever there is an interruption the message is displayed “Unable to play song ‘song’ - the song is not encoded correctly. ”

When I use Alexa on Sonos to access other streaming services (Greatest Hits radio for example) the radio service streams OK without interruptions….and if I connect my iPad to the same wi-fi point as the one used by Sonos and use BBC Sounds/Alexa/Amazon music on my iPad and AirPlay the stream to my Sonos it also works ok (no interruptions).

So I only get a problem when using Sonos Alexa to stream the BBC Radio / Amazon Music content…..

I’ve seen lots of posts about this error which generally try to blame the network the sonos is connected to….but streaming radio/music works ok for other streaming services also via Sonos Alexa,  and for BBC/Amazon Music on other devices using Alexa etc….. so I’m not sure that network “reason” is applicable.

Any ideas anyone?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I am also experiencing a similar but it is all Amazon music using alexa.

Same issue here. Frustrating.

I’m curious as to what response you got from Sonos Support when you called them?

I canceled Amazon music and subscribed to Spotify.  No issues as of yet.

I’m curious as to what response you got from Sonos Support when you called them?

Haven’t called them (yet)...and haven’t had any sort of response online either….

Chances are significantly higher to get a response if you call in. This is an online community support forum, Sonos support doesn’t monitor these topics, just the relatively fewer forum moderators.