Use Sonos Roam to Sync with Amazon Echo

• 20 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Took delivery of my Sonos Roam today and discovered I can use it to sync Sonos with Amazon Echo Multi-Room Speaker groups. This is what I did:

Connected an Echo Flex to the Roam via Bluetooth (the Echo Flex is part of an Echo Multi-Room Group).

Played from Spotify to the Echo Multi-Room Group (including the Roam from the Echo Flex via Bluetooth).

Played on all my Sonos speakers by grouping with the Roam in the Sonos App.

Result: Synced musics on all Echo and Sonos speakers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +17

Hey @MD_Digital, thanks for sharing your method! Roam definitely unlocks a world of new possibilities with Bluetooth line in :smile:

Is there seriously no way to just have it sync as part of a group without an extra device? Seems like this should be use case #1? May just return this thing for an echo with a portable battery...

The Amazon Echo Flex is a simple and cheap device that allows connection to an external device either via Bluetooth or 3.5mm jack and, in combination with the Roam, is the only solution I’ve found to connect in sync between Sonos and other brands of wireless speaker.

Sonos don’t produce an equivalent of the Echo Flex.

I’ve also tried connecting an Echo Flex to a Sonos Port via a wired connection, which sort of works, but the output is out of sync between the Sonos and non-Sonos speakers.

Is there seriously no way to just have it sync as part of a group without an extra device? Seems like this should be use case #1? May just return this thing for an echo with a portable battery...

No.  Use case #1 is to have a Sonos multiroom audio system.  All the evidence suggests that for Sonos, synching with other speakers isn’t a use case at all.