Answered

Turntable and Echo Dot on Same Sonos 5

• 10 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I have a second gen Play 5, 3rd gen amazon echo dot, and Project Carbon turntable. I currently have my turntable connected to the play 5 through the line in connection through the phono preamp associated with my turntable. 

I would really like to have the echo dot connected to the play 5 as well as the turntable to make it a smart speaker.  I was wondering if this is possible with the turntable connected at the same time? If so, what would my options be?

I also have an era 100 and gen 1 move if that matters for options. 

Thanks in advance for the help!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 December 2023, 16:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You need to install the ‘Sonos Skill’ in the Amazon Alexa App and scan for your Sonos devices on the network subnet. Then go onto create an Alexa ‘enabled’ group in the Alexa App and set the Echo Dot as the ‘enabling/controlling’ device and the Play: 5 as the playback speaker. Set the group playback options to ‘Always’. 

The next thing is then to set a default music service in the Alexa App and ensure that same service (and login credentials) are also installed in the Sonos App. Note it must be a paid subscription service, like Amazon Music, Apple Music, Deezer or Spotify etc,

Then simply say things like “Alexa play some music” and the playback will occur on your Play:5 speaker.

Here is some further information about Alexa and the basic instructions you can use with that assistant…

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Inc/dp/B072ML3N6K

Thanks for the response. 

Does the echo need to be connected via line in to the Play:5?

When I am looking to add the Play:5 to the group under the “choose speakers” function on the alexa app, the Play:5 does not show up. 

Thanks for the response. 

Does the echo need to be connected via line in to the Play:5?

No - the Sonos Skill controls things over a wireless connection… music playback to the speaker is direct from the streaming audio source. A cable connection is not needed.

When I am looking to add the Play:5 to the group under the “choose speakers” function on the alexa app, the Play:5 does not show up. 

You must use an Alexa ‘enabled’ Group in the Amazon App - it’s not the same type of group that is used by Amazon to group their own echo devices. See attached example group.

I think I got it. Thank you so much!

I think I got it. Thank you so much!

Any problems or questions, then just post back here and I will do my best to try to assist.