Trouble finding things to play from Amazon Music

• 24 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve had a Sonos + Alexa going on for a good time. It works normally quite well and most issues in recent few years have been about Alexa. Yeah, Sonos speakers tend to take the command (my outside speaker replies when I speak 20cm from my Kitchen Echo Show) that’s meant for devices with a display, but I’ve come to understand I should only execute commands and not really expect an answer, so that’s fine.. 

But I’ve noticed recently a growing problem of not finding what I want to play with the Sonos app. With Alexa I can just say “Alexa, play dreamy edm” and it chooses a channel and plays something. Surprisingly often it chooses right and I’m happy with whatever comes out of the speakers. But there are situations when I want to use the app instead of voice commands, say during past week Alexa has always stopped playing music after one song no matter what album playlist or station I ask it to play. With Sonos app, the playback continues fine. 

But with Sonos app I have to know exactly the name of the thing I want to play. And I don’t. In fact, I’ve noticed that people whom use Spotify are much better and finding new music overall. Sonos users listen to the same stuff they have always listened to.

How do you guys go around this problem? How do you guys get unspecified playlist going without know the exact name nor spending much time with it? How do you find new music to listen to via Sonos app?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @boogey 

Thanks for your post!

Alexa has always stopped playing music after one song no matter what album playlist or station I ask it to play. With Sonos app, the playback continues fine. 

This will be due to a setting in the Alexa app: Alexa app » More » Settings » Music & Podcasts » Autoplay - set to Enabled to have music continue after the first track.

But with Sonos app I have to know exactly the name of the thing I want to play. And I don’t. In fact, I’ve noticed that people whom use Spotify are much better and finding new music overall. Sonos users listen to the same stuff they have always listened to.

How do you guys go around this problem? How do you guys get unspecified playlist going without know the exact name nor spending much time with it? How do you find new music to listen to via Sonos app?

To be honest, I really don’t use Amazon Music much, as I already pay for YouTube and YouTube Music, and that allows me to play specific tracks which a Prime tier membership of Amazon Music does not permit. However, if I were to explore Amazon Music from within the Sonos app and wanted to find music new to me, I would probably use the Recommended, Charts and New sections within the Amazon Music container. The Recommended section in particular will be tailored to the user’s listening habits.

On YouTube Music, however, I tend to just play My Supermix, reselecting it occasionally so that the tracks change (otherwise it would be one queue playing over and over again).

Hopefully, some heavier users of Amazon Music than me will soon chime in with their thoughts.

I hope this helps.