Question

The Skill My Media for Alexa does not work with a default Sonos speaker system

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi, @Colette Morice! In regards to the skill with Amazon Alexa, you may need to check that with them as it’s outside of the Sonos stuff and we’ll surely pass along your interest to the team. 

It is our pleasure. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge +1

Hi Krishma,

i agree with you and I will ask again to the Alexa team.

in the meantime as Mymedia for Alexa seems to be the sole “French “ solution, please push your Sonos development team to contact the Mymedia team for fixing together your bug

Regards

Philippe

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Do you have another non-Sonos speaker you could make as Alexa default speaker?  If it works with that, then you’d have a stronger argument to show the Sonos side is probably at fault.

Seems to me that you are getting the classic ‘run-around’ - I hope I’m wrong but passing on to the development team probably means nothing.

I am willing to bet that nothing will happen. This is a niche of niche for Sonos.

While at my end, thanks to @castalla , a photo of my media on Alexa in my balcony, echo show 5 wired to Sonos Connect. Brilliant, simple.

Badge +1

While at my end, thanks to @castalla , a photo of my media on Alexa in my balcony, echo show 5 wired to Sonos Connect. Brilliant, simple.

Hi Kumar

how is it wired ? With coaxial cables ? In this case it works because it does not use the Sonos Ethernet protocols 

phil

Phil,

Yes, it is wired, and this is because in my case, for different reasons, Sonos can’t be bothered about my requests dating back to October 2017. So one has to find other ways and not be at their mercy; my way was coax wires.

The music from the NAS into the Show comes via voice commands from a My Media instance sitting on a Raspberry PI in another room, so there is no need for a PC kind of computer. The Raspberry is ethernet wire connected to another Sonos unit, and using a combination of wires, Sonos net, and WiFi, music can be played on Echo Shows in different rooms, some of which are wired to Sonos speakers.

I know you responded to my suggestion earlier that you prefer wireless solutions - in my case I have found that a mix of wired+wireless works best for me. Including the use of non Sonos components in the solution.

If the Sonos unit is too far away for coaxial wires, perhaps bluetooth will work for you by connecting the Show to a bluetooth receiver physically connected to Sonos.

Or, you can wait, perhaps forever, for Sonos to help you. I did not have the time or the patience to wait.

And as it so happened, these strategies are also saving me from all the S1/S2 nonsense that Sonos imposed on us.