Question

Spotify Playlists with Alexa

• 27 June 2019
  • 9 replies

Looking for a bit of help or guidance.

I have multiple Sonos speakers, Alexa Devices and Alexa enabled devices.

If I ask any of these devices to play a playlist from Spotify, nothing happens. Alexa acknowledges the request, it sounds like it works, but no music starts.

This all started within the last week.

I’ve reset all my devices, delinked and linked Spotify through Sonos, delinked and linked Sonos and Spotify through Alexa.

Asking to play a song or an artist works fine.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

This is most likely due to the command you are using with Alexa.

You need to specify the word Playlist in the command. e.g. 'Alexa, Play Piano Chill Playlist'

Do you have Spotify set-up as your default Music Service in the Alexa App?
Thanks for the reply. I’ve had the Sonos One since it first came out. I have been in Beta testing. I use the right commands.

Spotify is my default music service.

Alexa responds with, for example, “Playing the playlist ‘Chllin’ on a Dirt Road’ from Spotify on Beam” and then nothing plays.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Strange, I don't have any issues with playlists. And. Just to confirm, you have Disabled then Enabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa App?
Yes, I’ve disabled and reenabled everything possible including the Sonos and Spotify skills in Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In that case can you submit a diagnostic and add the number to this thread?
Confirmation Number: 22147597. Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Confirmation Number: 22147597. Thank you

Thanks for the report. Your speakers are losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This is likely due to wireless interference and the fact that you have a couple access points running on different wireless channels. Try switching your wireless access points over the channel 6, and see if that helps. Channel 6 is less crowded, and we don't recommend having access points on different wireless channels.
Hi Jeff,

I’m not having issues with connectivity. The way I have my wireless network set up is optimal for all my devices, not just Sonos.

The issue I am having is I give a command to Alexa to play a playlist, she acknowledges it, shows it in the Alexa app, but my Sonos never play it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The process of giving a command requires communication between your controller, Alexa's servers, and your Sonos speakers. There can be communication issues along this path if there are connection issues. I'd recommend doing some wireless troubleshooting.

If you prefer, give us a call. Our phone team has more tools and can troubleshoot with you live.