Answered

Speaking to any Alexa device mutes whole house - why not zones?

• 11 June 2018
  • 1 reply

So, it's great that when I'm in the living room with music playing and I speak to the Echo in the same room that the volume automatically mutes on the Sonos gear in the same room. However, I find it kind of silly that it mutes Sonos equipment in other rooms.

For example, it's 8am, I'm downstairs in my home office, listening to the news or some music on my Play:5. My wife's getting ready to head out to work, and in the bedroom, which is on a different floor and at the opposite end of the house. Both doors are closed too. She takes a moment to ask the Echo Dot in our bedroom about today's weather. And my Play:5 gets muted, despite being nowhere near where she is.

Why not group into zones to prevent this? Like "Upstairs Echo & Living Room" get grouped, and "Office Dot & Office" get grouped for muting purposes.

I can't see any options in either the Sonos app, Alexa app, or the Sonos Alexa Skill to do something like this, so if the capability exists, it's pretty well hidden.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 11 June 2018, 19:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

It is not possible at this time to group 3rd party speakers in the Alexa app, nor can you assign one to a particular Echo. Sonos and Amazon have stated they are working on this, and in the future it should be possible to only duck assigned speaker(s).