Answered

Sorry! Cameras don't work on this device! — Sonos One & Nest

• 21 March 2018
  • 3 replies

Before I get caught in a loop where Sonos tells me to talk to Nest and Nest tell me to talk to Amazon and Amazon tells me to talk to Sonos... has anybody been able to tell their Sonos One to play a Nest camera feed on their Fire TV? It works perfectly from my Echo and Echo Dot. And requests to play Fire TV content via Sonos One work no problem. It's only when I ask for it to display my Nest feeds that Sonos One says "Sorry! Cameras don't work on this device!" — I've made sure there are no name conflicts. I've done the whole disable/enable skill and forget all/discover devices and have ulinked/linked devices in the Fire TV prefs (along with everything else I can think of). None of the usual tricks are working, so I'm starting to suspect that Sonos One can't handle video requests from Nest Cams sent to Fire TV?
icon

Best answer by bockersjv 21 March 2018, 11:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Sonos one is an Alexa Enabled device, as such it does not have full Alexa functionality. The bits most notably missing are the intercom functions. I suspect you have just found another function that only works on Native Amazon devices.
I honestly didn't even know that was a feature. Did you try it by adding "on [name of firetv]" to the end of your command? I can see where it possibly could be aware that your echo's have no video functionality, and thus command should be assumed for the firetv. While on the other hand, it doesn't no whether an alexa enabled device has video or not, and thus doesn't transfer the command to the linked firetv. You have to explicitly tell it....maybe. It could be as bockersiv states, and it's just not possible.

I have a firetv and Arlo cameras. I've displayed the cameras on the tv, but always using the firetv remote directly. I also have an echo show linked to the firetv, so a command to the echo show would display on it's on screen, not the firetv. I'll see if I can send it to the firetv by naming the firetv later when I get home. I don't have a Sonos One, but I do have other alexa enabled devices. I'll try the command there as well.
Yes. Definitely attempted to add "David's Fire TV" after the command. I even tried changing the name of it to just "Fire TV" so there wasn't a chance that "David's Bedroom Light" would be a conflict. This is such a huge bummer. Before I replaced my Echo with a Sonos One, it was handy to hear noises outside my house or hear my cats going crazy upstairs... and be able to just say "Alexa, show Back Yard" or "Alexa, show Stairwell" while watching television... and have Echo magically display the feed on my TV. Now I have to find my Fire TV remote so I can manually request it.